New member, steering rack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member, steering rack.

Hello and thanks for having me. I took a chance on a Marina based Roadster a week ago it had a complete rebuild in 2012 and hadn't moved much since. Took it for MOT yesterday and was happy with the result, but steering rack is very stiff and tester said just buy a new one. That seems easier said than done. Anyone have any ideas on buying new or refurbished or anything I can do if it's just stiff from lack of use? The other fails binding front brake, handbrake cable rubbing on rear brake cable, new seat belts needed and carbs need adjusting as idle is to fast, all easy bits to sort. I'm in Cornwall and see I'm not the only one.

Re: New member, steering rack.

Welcome to the MOC, a really friendly and helpful gang of people, someone will be along soon to advise on
    your rack, the other things, as you say, should be simple to fix.

Speaking as the archivist I'm keen to know which car you have bought, and can maybe give you some of it's
    past history.

My contact details are in the Pitstop magazine, rather than using a public forum

Regards Dave Cunnington

Comment

Thank you Dave, you helped previous owner sort out correct dvla reg I believe. Will be in touch.

Comment

I have had some great answers to my question already on the Facebook group. Hopefully just a bit sized rather than worn.

Comment

Follow the link to Keepandshare from my forum signature, lots of info on Marina steering racks.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks will take a look, your car sounds very interesting.

Comment

Thought I'd give an update on my rack. I tried putting in some of the correct gearbox oil and drive it a bit to see if it would free itself up. It must have been full of grease or old oil that had gone very thick from standing for so long. After my second drive out I noticed some oily mess on the wings panicked thinking it was the engine but it was coming from the rack gaiters that were only held with cable ties and also the filler hole which was missing its bung and I had covered with gaffer tape. The mess that came out was very thick and more like grease than oil and I guess as the car had little use for quite some years the rack was struggling to move. Anyway it's now vastly improved and with the front jacked up I can move the front wheels by hand something I could hardly do before. I have ordered decent clamps for the gaiters and will be adding some more oil and all I hope should be good. It's taken this long as I came home on the back of a lorry third time out with carb trouble.

Comment

Working...
              X