Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster B series exhaust silencer loudness problem

Hi all,

I have a straight through exhaust fitted to my 1800 B series . It is very loud indeed.

Does anyone have any good recommendations regarding silencers? I need something to make my car more acceptable to me and my neighbours!

Again, thoughts welcome.

Re: Roadster B series exhaust silencer loudness problem

It's not really practical to achieve a very quiet exhaust with the Roadster's under the running board arrangement. Your best bet is to use the biggest volume silencer that fits. Car Builder Solutions have a 5" repackable https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/5-stai...steel-silencer but I wasn't willing to spend that much and bought a Jetex "big oval" https://jetex.co.uk/product/oval-sil...-volume5-901l/, which does a decent job of keeping the decibels down to an acceptable level. The ones I've linked are for 2" pipe; don't know what yours will be.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Jon.

I think both are straight through exhausts. Has anyone managed to fit a resonator? From my understanding these are quieter. However as Jon has suggested may not be able to fit under the wing.

Thanks for the comment!

Comment

Originally posted by kevindean View Post
        Hi all,

I have a straight through exhaust fitted to my 1800 B series . It is very loud indeed.

Does anyone have any good recommendations regarding silencers? I need something to make my car more acceptable to me and my neighbours!

Again, thoughts welcome.

I made my own exhaust for my Cabrio and am probably on Mk1V version before I was happy with a quiet motorway cruise, but enough bark when I press the loud pedal.

From my experience the closer you can fit an expansion box to the manifold the better. A small one close to it is as good as two larger exhaust boxes towards the rear.

From research there appears to be a direct correlation between size and quietness.

Finally 3 chamber straight though exhausts are good at noise cancelling, using impulses passing in one direction through the box to counter those travelling in the opposite direction through the reverse flow section. It does work.

Comment

My 1800TC is remarkably quiet using 1 circular silencer that has been on the car since the late 80's. Yes it's throaty at idle , but on light throttle when cruising, cars that past me make more noise .

I can have a conversation with my passenger without needing to raise my voice and can hear the tappets or rattles from passing cars. The ideal size according to moss for a 1800 B series is apparently 1 & 3/4". My exhaust bore isn't that large .
          Stainless steel systems are noiser than identically sized mild steel because they "ring".
          The exhaust on my Roadster is the system the original buider made up and is not a Maniflow system.

However Maniflow can supply a good flowing exhaust box or make you a bespoke system in their workshops with the car on their ramp. Try giving them a call , I used to deal with David Dorrington for other cars I had in the past .

Another chap to contact is Mervyn at Fast Road Conversions, his exhausts are also of top quality.
          Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 28-07-20, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks to those that have replied. It is great to have some advice so quickly.

I will let you know what I implement. It may be a little time before I get around to it.

Money & Time come into it.....

Thanks again.

Kev

Comment

Working...
            X