Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. #1 Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo 
    regular forum contributor Club Member
    Mechanic has fitted the suggested 7" dual servo upgrade to my Marlin Hunter, but now it seems that the bonnets doesn't close !! Any thoughts/suggestions (positve ) anyone ?
    Many thanks

2. #2 Re: Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    I guess that as it faces “uphill” moving the master cylinder forward has raised the front enough to foul the bonnet? With the bonnet open rest a thin wood batten across the front and rear bonnet tape and you can see what the problem is. Have you got a fluid reservoir on top of the master cylinder? If so that is most likely your problem. You then need a remote reservoir and connectors like the photo below.

As a matter of interest what engine do you have and do you have discs or drum brakes at the rear? Peter.

72B77AD4-5A69-4821-8A0C-28411A98C821.jpeg

3. #3 Re: Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo 
    Many thanks Peter for the very swift reply - much appreciated. The mechanic has the duel servo flush against the housing plate i.e perpendicular to it . In this position, the master cylinder is actually fouling the side panel, and not the bonnet as I was told before. He is thinking of cutting the plate back and re-welding so that the servo sits closer to the rear plate. Another option would be to use spacers/washers on the outside studs to align the servo at an angle towards the engine, but that doesn't look correct . What do you reckon ?

Forgot to add that the Hunter was built by Marlin in 2001 for the late actor Warren Clarke. Engine is 3.9L Rover V8
    Last edited by monomer5; 28-07-2020 at 03:00 PM.

4. #4 Re: Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo 
    Hi My Hunter had spacers to make this mod work and didn't look bad at all

Contact me on my email as in Pitstop and I can send you pics

By the way, for the archive can you please tell me the full sequence of letters/numbers
    on your cars plate...T4 etc

Thanks Dave VUnnington

5. #5 Re: Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo 
    Hi Dave thanks
    T4-223KRKRTCLH0901MC
    Will email you
    Cheers
    Clive

6. #6 Re: Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo 
    Cheers for the numbers Clive, I answered your email before I checked this site !

So Warren Clarke must really be M Clarke ???

7. #7 Re: Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo 
    I can clear up the MC mystery . Warren commissioned the car for his wife Michele as a birthday present. I guess she may have found it tricky to drive as they returned it to Marlin. I bought it from Terry in 2003. Its nice to know the provenance. I have build photos and even some when Terry delivered it to them !
    Cheers
    Clive

8. #8 Re: Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo 
    Ah yes as Dave says above I remember that my servo has packing washers on the outer two studs to tip the servo at an angle. The resultant gap is filled with black silicone sealant so looks acceptable. That said be aware that that does cause a potential mismatch angle between the brake pedal axis and the servo push rod. On mine the outer clevis hole was filed slightly elongated to overcome this. A more elegant engineering solution is to fit a rose joint. That also gives its own problems due to thread differences and rose joint length required. One was is to weld a threaded adaptor bush to the rose joint. Plenty of info about this if you search dual servo on the Cabrio / Hunter forum.

Another option is to move the whole pedal box back. It is separate from the bulkhead and fixed to it with bolts, so using spacers is an option to achieve this.

You have the same engine as my Hunter. Hopefully you have disc brakes at the rear? Peter.

9. #9 Re: Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo 
    Many thanks Peter. Yes, sorry I should have responded earlier - discs all round

10. #10 Re: Marlin Hunter V8 - Dual servo 
    Quote Originally Posted by monomer5 View Post
    Many thanks Peter. Yes, sorry I should have responded earlier - discs all round
    Aha! Ditto here. Am sending you a PM. Peter.

P.S. I seem to think that on later Hunters Marlin angled the front of the pedal box to avoid needing the packing washers? The pedal / servo angle issue remains though. Peter.
    Last edited by greyV8pete; 28-07-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: + P.S.