Overheating Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overheating Roadster

My Roadster used to get really hot when stuck in traffic in the 30 degrees plus we had recently. So I have fitted a 3 bladed metal fan blade in conjunction with the remote one. It cured the problem straight away. it now never gets above 90 degrees. The metal blade also gives plenty of clearance to the rack. so there is no chance of hitting it under heavy breaking.. I am not saying this would be right for all situations, but it works for me.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stephenlilley View Post
      My Roadster used to get really hot when stuck in traffic in the 30 degrees plus we had recently. So I have fitted a 3 bladed metal fan blade in conjunction with the remote one. It cured the problem straight away. it now never gets above 90 degrees. The metal blade also gives plenty of clearance to the rack. so there is no chance of hitting it under heavy breaking.. I am not saying this would be right for all situations, but it works for me.
      Hi Stephen
      What exhaust manifold are you using as I note that it is wrapped ?

I also note that your throttle cable is affixed differently to the norm, what is the advantage of that, although it does look a neater way of doing things?
      Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 23-08-20, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Morning. Its a home made steel manifold and I have a 2" big bore exhaust. The throttle is a Shimano gear cable with a slow bend, really smooth action. The linkage is simplified with two springs attached to brackets on the manifold bolts.I made up a S/S bracket fixed to each carb inner bolt. It works well and does look quite neat, I think !!.I have done lots of other mods including a Sprung hood frame, rear hinged bonnet, Rear MGF discs. etc I seem to be always at it, especially these days.

Comment

A word of caution on MGB style plastic fans. They have a tendency to flex forwards, more than a metal fan, and can make contact with the steering rack mounting bolts, especially at higher revs.

You can of course reduce the diameter of the fan, but check that it is still balanced and does no shake itself apart.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Morning. Its a home made steel manifold and I have a 2" big bore exhaust. The throttle is a Shimano gear cable with a slow bend, really smooth action. The linkage is simplified with two springs attached to brackets on the manifold bolts.I made up a S/S bracket fixed to each carb inner bolt. It works well and does look quite neat, I think !!.I have done lots of other mods including a Sprung hood frame, rear hinged bonnet, Rear MGF discs. etc I seem to be always at it, especially these days.
            Very neat engine bay there Stephen, do you actually get to drive the car?

Any noticeable gains from your manifold & 2" exhaust combination?

Comment

I do yes, perhaps a four or five times a month. A mate of mine has a Moggie Traveller and once a month we take a trip to a Café somewhere in Yorkshire, Changes every time. We sometimes go to Thornton le Dale to visit Matthewsons (Bangers for cash). If ever you up this way, its well worth a visit.

Comment

If my engine looked that good, no way would I take it on the road, it would be in a display cabinet! Who made your exhaust manifold? It looks as if you have not fitted the insulating spacers between the manifold and carbs and no heat shield either, the insulation must be very effective. Lovely job, how abut more engine room pics just to rub it in!

Comment

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
                  Very neat engine bay there Stephen, do you actually get to drive the car?
                  I thought that but didn't want to be the first to say it Definitely looks like a show car, some serious polishing been going on there.
                  2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Yep, I get asked that all the time. When I fitted the carbs, the spacers made them protrude too much so I thought I would try without.
                    Fearing the worst, I bought some new spacers ready to fit when it all went pear shaped but, 8 years later it runs great, in all weathers. Some more pics.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Stephen, what is the white item to the left of your RHS bonnett hinge?

Comment

Its a length of 2" plastic pipe covering some grotty wiring. One of my next jobs to do is sort the wiring out.

Comment

Shame about the overlong clevis pin on the throttle cable. Jealous, Moi? Damn right I am! Beautiful!

Comment

Stephen , As you are running trumpets on the carbs , that will definitely improve the already very good low end torque.
                            what Carb needles are you running ?
                            Was moving up from the standard to usual listed richer needle sufficient?

As you have no air filters and a nice large free flowing exhaust, is the cam standard ?

Comment

Well spotted Dave, It's on the to do list. It is now anyway !!!!

Comment

After trying many different needles, I have plumped for AAB. They are definitely the best for me. Its a standard cam but its fine for now, I will fit a lumpier cam when the engine is next out. I do track days with it and beat many off the line, then they all shoot past me on the straight. Will do the ton, if I hold my nerve. I need to do some research for the best mid range cam.

Comment

Working...
                                X