Cabrio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabrio

My Cabrio (2.1 Pinto engine) has just failed its MOT on emissions. Can the mixture be weakened for a retest then reset later?

Re: Cabrio

shouldn't it be just a visual smoke test?

Comment

Visual smoke test is based on a couple of conditions

1, kit cars and amateur-built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998

2, Q plated

If it satisfies either of these it should have not been tested for emissions and subject to visual smoke test only.

Comment

Check the TPS readings with a multi meter, with the ignition on the reading at the signa wire should be 0.5_0.7 volts rising to 4.7 volts on pressing the throttle, usually the signal wire is the centre of three and the wire is green . Any other reading is a sign the carbon track is worn and damaged and the TPS needs replacing, it is a non serviceable part.
        With the negative wire of your multi meter on the neg side of the battery, and the pos on the signal wire of the TPS turn on the ignition you may need assistance to help slowly press the accelerator and watch the readings on the multi meter anything other than the readings mentioned earlier you are closer to finding the fault.
        The TPS not only tells the ECU how much throttle is being used but it also matches the ignition settings and if they don't match the ECU settings ,Bingo, the amount of fuel to the injectors is going to be wrong ,and so your emissions will be also.
        Last edited by philcoyle; 12-08-20, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Was basing my comment on own experience . Last Cabrio registration JR 07 LOT with late 80's BMW 325 engine never subjected to emissions test in the 7 years I owned her - visual only!
          Did I get off lightly? Or maybe because I've used the same MOT station for all the family cars for more years than I care to remember.

Comment

I get emissions testing performed on my Cabrio when its MoT'd, its a 2000 reg based on a 89 Sierra with 2L EFi Pinto. I deal a lot with the MoT station with trade tests and when we get one thats borderline they often suggest taking the car for a good hard thrash up the road to get the engine nice and hot which helps with emissions.
            2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
              Was basing my comment on own experience . Last Cabrio registration JR 07 LOT with late 80's BMW 325 engine never subjected to emissions test in the 7 years I owned her - visual only!
              Did I get off lightly? Or maybe because I've used the same MOT station for all the family cars for more years than I care to remember.
              My Cabrio was registered in 1997 and now has a Zetec 2ltr circa 2010, and in the nine yrs I have owned her she has only ever had visible smoke test
              Stapley Bryan

Comment

Front cover of V5 shows emissions value dependant on registration date.

Comment

My understanding is that for kit cars its a visible smoke test only unless there are limits stated on the V5. In the case of my Cabrio it is based on a 1991 Sierra with that car's registration and there are no limits in the exhaust emissions section of the document.

Comment

First of all Phil hasn’t stated if his car runs on carbs or is fuel injected, as what he need to do next depends strongly on that difference.

Smoke tests should only apply to Q plates or pre 1998 amateur built cars (as defined on the V5).

Basically emissions are a nightmare as there are several rules that you can take from different sources. My V5 has no emissions levels specified. Date of vehicle registration is shown as 2009. But the logbook has in the notes section ‘was previously used or registered’
                    With my Cabrio with a 2.0l DOHC engine from the 1989 donor I have had it fail because the tester didn’t know what test to apply. Then it failed because it was first registered in 2009 even though it was on an age related plate. Finally I persuaded them to test it as a 1989 car running on carburettors.
                    Things became even more complicated when I replaced the old engine with a Zetec engine. For an ‘ordinary’ car if you replace the engine then the test should be for the car or engine’s age whichever is the oldest.
                    The original garage insisted on testing it as if it had a CAT and it failed marginally.
                    So I went to a different garage and first I had to convince the garage I had done an engine swap, and the ‘age’ of the car was based on its given reg.no. and not on the date of first registration shown in the log book, then that it originally had the DOHC engine.
                    So the garage I now use tests as if the car is running on carburettors even though it is fuel injected with a CAT. It would have marginally failed for a CAT engine,
                    I have had the ECU set up on a dynamometer and it now passes the modern tests AND they found another 20BHP.

Comment

Which Phil is that then, this one runs on EFi and passed its MOT this morning. As it is registered in1987 on carbs it is now a different engine a pinto 2ltr EFi he revved up and then commented on it being the first pinto he had driven with an hydraulic concentric clutch and how light it was, and no oil leaks. The garage door was only just big enough to get my head through, and then realised as it was the end of the MOT the buttering up was because he was hoping for a tip, Oh well it was good while it lasted. Getting home and trying to tax it I was nearly carted off in an ambulance. But that is as the saying goes another story.

Comment

Phil Griffin, originator of the thread.
                        Too many Phils.

Comment

Many thanks to you all for your comments about my MOT failure. I went back to the garage and explained to the owner that there should have been only a visual emissions check and he admitted it was the first kit car he had done and didn't know!! I now have an MOT! Will be looking for a different MOT centre next year!

Comment

"Will be looking for a different MOT centre next year! "

Why? As the owner now knows about your car and its MOT requirements then surely it's easiest to stick with the current MOT centre, otherwise next year you may well end up just jumping through the same hoops.
                            2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

+1 ^

Comment

Working...
                              X