Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Springs

Hi Guys
    The Marina rear leaf spring is a double spring - has anybody tried just using the outer "main" spring on its own?

A Marlin should end up with half the mass of a Marina - so just the outside leaf spring???

Pictures of my chassis with the NZ modifications and the floor/trans tunnel/front/rear bulkheads welded in
    Attached Files

Re: Rear Springs

Not long after building mine I tried that, for about a fortnight, before reverting back. I found that going over bumps the diff. hit the top of the rear tunnel.

Comment

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
      Not long after building mine I tried that, for about a fortnight, before reverting back. I found that going over bumps the diff. hit the top of the rear tunnel.
      Excellent
      did you try shortening the top leaf?

Comment

A lot of the Marinas weight is over the front suspension where the cast iron boat anchor is.
        There was a variety of leaf springs available on other versions of the saloon cars, estates etc. All listed, guess where!
        The standard saloon spring is as suggested above about as soft as you want to go, of course adjustable shocks can reduce the speed of travel but they would be working a lot harder than designed, I recall driving on UK a roads with the top of the transmission tunnel removed, the vertical travel of the propshaft gave an indication of just how far the rear axle must be rising and falling.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
          Excellent
          did you try shortening the top leaf?
          No but I did fit new rubber bushes all round.

Comment

Back in the days of Wee Beastie, I looked at having some single leaf parabolic springs custom made, it wasn't hugely expensive at the time.
            Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

I looked at my springs - they appeared to be well rusty between the leaves

So I spent an hour with a flappy disc getting the most of the rust off

I have got some teflon sheet - its for Barbeques! - and I am going to put a strip of teflon between the leaves
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X