X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series

Originally posted by mikeyp View Post
    Steve

Thank you for the words of wisdom, my naive assumption was that if i took the plugs out i should be able to turn the crankshaft thus proving things were moving? Have i got that right?
    Taking the plugs out simply means that the position of the valves will not make the engine easier to turn and allow you po pour stuff down the bores.
    You don’t say how long you left the pistons to soak, for a badly seized engine using PlusGas, my favourite, it can be days, not minutes.

You are rather trapped in a damned if you do, damned if you don’t, position. So taking a little more time is not wasted.

My thoughts with any unknown engine, would be to strip it down, and rebuild it anyway. Good luck. It’s not a difficult job if you have an engine stand so that it’s at a good working height.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I would be wary of trying to turn a “siezed” engine in case there are any valves stuck in the valve guides. In addition to the initial long soaking of the pistons with oil or plusgas I would get the head off first to check the valves are free and then get access to the pistons. Provided they are not at top dead centre then a block of hardwood on top of each in turn and a smart whack with a hammer may well be enough to get things free. As previously mentioned this may crack a piston ring but at least you can then continue a major strip down if necessary. However if things do free off this way then it will save you a major engine out job.

Comment

Thanks Dave
        Now quite excited that engine has to come out, I feel the need for an engine stand purchase! It simplifies a lot of decisions and means I can get on with suspension and seat refurb. As you say It will be worth asking someone to take a look at it, I will take you up on the offer of a chat nearer the time.

I need to clear some space in my bijou workshop. Unfortunately I don’t have a garage so major work will have to commence in the spring.
        1700 OHC marina based LWB roadster. HPH 415V
        Kit purchased and collected from Plymouth circa 1988
        Build completed early 1992
        SORN for 15+ years until August 2020 + major rebuild / refurbishment commenced

Comment

Many thanks - the engine is well and truly seized after 3 months of trying various remedies to no avail, so it will be engine out I think.

Comment

Re engine stands. I inherited a three-wheeled one. It was not very stable nearly dumping my B ser engine on the floor!! I put a crossbar by the single wheel and put blocks under it. Now it is stable even with a 2.5l Landrover diesel on it. Lots of info on the forum about getting engines and gearbox out. The easiest I think is to drop it out and lift the car off. use a little trolley to pull it out, Don't forget the speedo cable, don't ask! Yes, it does need to be high. Hire an engine crane to lift it. Lots of big solid wood blocks. If it is in the open why not get a Gazebo? Any cover helps.

Comment

Hi there,

Work starts this weekend, weather permitting! Gazebo on the front drive is the plan assuming no more gales after today !

I'm still struggling to find a replacement o series engine, so if anyone knows of one lying around on a garage floor somewhere that would be wonderful to know.

My plan is to get the lump out of the car this weekend, assess the extent of the damage and then refurbish the running gear etc while sorting next steps on the engine.

I will post pics as I go

Comment

O series are indeed rare, stick with it, don’t be impatient.
                Have you tried the Morris Marina owners club they might be able to help.
                Failing that, it could be time to put a Zetec Inside.
                Good Luck.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks Steve

Yes I'm on the Marina owners club forum, and am trying there. Not sure where to start if i have to change the engine, there appear to be so many things to sort, welding new engine & gear box mounts, new / amended propshaft, electrics, etc. not quite sure where i would start. any hints welcome !

Comment

The weakness of the O series engine is that the valve clearances are shimmed and the valves recess into the valve seats eventually resulting in no clearance at all. This then causes the valve to burn out often splintering with 3 splits in it.

They are pretty straight forward to work on though.

There was also the 2.0 litre variant which was used in the Sherpa van with twin wheel base, as well as the 1.7 . They did however have lower compression pistons fitted.

The piston and bores were usually ok on the o series, just the cylinder head to attend to.

Btw, the O series was also used in some front wheel drive cars including the Maestro and Montego.

Comment

Progress at last - engine out.
                      One cylinder well and truly seized. Have sourced a factory spare 1/2 engine in fairly good nick. Everything looks compatible except the dipstick. The replacement block has a hole for a plug in dipstick housing. My old block just has the dipstick tube poking out from it. So wondering where to go from here, possibly having something machined to fit? Any ideas welcomed.

Anything stainless has stood the test of time well. Pretty much everything else needs either replacement of stripping down and refinishing.
                      New clutch master cylinder in, new tie rod bushes in. i’d forgotten how tricky the latter were to install !!

Comment

83BEE569-ACD7-4822-B54F-0A829771CBAF.jpg
                        C240F1FF-C0D5-4A37-9778-022AD734126F.jpg
                        57A53541-104D-488A-B550-DED38B5B4C70.jpg
                        CAC6164E-F9C3-4312-AF92-33F44737E191.jpg
                        91ADA92E-0A53-4A6F-8876-6E2A90829EA4.jpg
                        38728C6B-406B-4D32-9D22-C7C906890416.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyp View Post
                          Progress at last - engine out.
                          One cylinder well and truly seized. Have sourced a factory spare 1/2 engine in fairly good nick. Everything looks compatible except the dipstick. The replacement block has a hole for a plug in dipstick housing. My old block just has the dipstick tube poking out from it. So wondering where to go from here, possibly having something machined to fit? Any ideas welcomed.

Anything stainless has stood the test of time well. Pretty much everything else needs either replacement of stripping down and refinishing.
                          New clutch master cylinder in, new tie rod bushes in. i’d forgotten how tricky the latter were to install !!
                          Not familiar with that engine but it looks as though the ‘new’ engine may have had the same dipstick tube but it has been snapped off? Peter.

Comment

Working...
                          X