Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series

1. #1 LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member
    Well it’s not been a great start.
    My LWB first registered in 1992 is in a sad state, much to my embarrassment and chagrin. I built it over a 4 year period and had it roadworthy just in time for our wedding. I then ran it as my main car for 8 or 9 years. A new house, children and life took over and the marlin was left alone for far too long. .....

After putting it off for more than 3 years, today I finally lifted the covers and lid on my roadster. Aside from the obvious deterioration of all the soft and flexible bits, the engine has seized and no amount of “encouragement” to turn it over manually has worked.

So the medium refurbishment i anticipated is now a really major refurbishment / rebuild with either; engine rebuild, replacement engine like for like or a new power plant with all the associated extra work that would entail. Phew...!

Many deep breaths and a large glass of wine later I am slightly more sanguine but still deflated.

Hopefully my next post will be more up beat

Mikeyp

2. #2 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    Good luck with it, I’m sure there are lot’s of us on here who have had similar experiences.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

3. #3 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member
    Hi Mikeyp,
    Take the spark plugs out and squirt a bit of diesel in the bores then leave to soak for a day or so then try turning over by hand with the plugs still removed. Sorry if you have already tried this.
    Keep us posted with pictures please and good luck.
    Cheers, Martin.
    1275 Marina/Ital based LWB Roadster in the process of a ground up rebuild.

4. #4 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meverett View Post
    Hi Mikeyp,
    Take the spark plugs out and squirt a bit of diesel in the bores then leave to soak for a day or so then try turning over by hand with the plugs still removed. Sorry if you have already tried this.
    Keep us posted with pictures please and good luck.
    Cheers, Martin.
    Patience is a virtue, 24 hrs after being seized for a year or more is nothing.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

5. #5 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Putting diesel down the bores will quickly end up in the sump , to slow that down try mixing with some red automatic transmission fluid. Hopefully the Auto transmission oil will get to sit around the ring surface. With the plugs removed place in 4th gear and gently rock it back and forth.
    If you get it to move the tiniest bit then add more oil mix to the bores to prevent piston ring breakage when trying for a complete revolution.

Apparently distilled vinegar or coke(not diet) may also help free off the rings, so they would be my plan "B"

6. #6 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member
    Before I acquired it my Roadster had sat for ten years outside under a tarp with no rocker box, accumulating water in the sump and more interesting in the inlet manifolds. It took over a year to get it running properly as a rolling restoration. Keep the faith and patience, don't be afraid to walk away and come back tomorrow if it is not going right. Good luck!

7. #7 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member
    Thank you all for the words of encouragement and advice, it is much appreciated. I knew it was going to be a bit of a challenge, but perhaps not quite as extensive as it has turned out!

I will give the diesel squirts a go at the weekend thank you, meanwhile this week will be about sourcing running gear replacement parts, seals etc

When it stops raining i will get a some pictures organised and try to keep this thread updated

8. #8 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyp View Post
    Thank you all for the words of encouragement and advice, it is much appreciated. I knew it was going to be a bit of a challenge, but perhaps not quite as extensive as it has turned out!

I will give the diesel squirts a go at the weekend thank you, meanwhile this week will be about sourcing running gear replacement parts, seals etc

When it stops raining i will get a some pictures organised and try to keep this thread updated
    Check carefully things like the thermostat housing that has an alarming tendency to corrode. They are very rare parts.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

9. #9 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member
    OK - sounds like another one for the list!
    1700 OHC marina based LWB roadster. HPH 415V
    Kit purchased and collected from Plymouth circa 1988
    Build completed early 1992
    SORN for 15+ years until August 2020 + major rebuild / refurbishment commenced

10. #10 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member
    Hi all - a rather belated update

After many attempts with diesel and then cola, I have not been able to free the cylinders so its looking like engine out and replacement. I have come across a potential 1.7 or 2.0L O series (crated - ex factory spare) at CabMasters. I'm still awaiting confirmation from Cabmaster that its still there, which engine size and what sort of price he's asking for, hopefully I will learn more after lockdown lifts. I have not been able to find any other options on line, but may well not be looking in the right places.

My reason for replacing like for like is saving hassle with new engine mounts, gearboxes and propshaft changes etc. However I am open to considering any reasonably priced alternatives, although a bit nervous about the resulting paperwork and recertification. Has anyone re-engined their marlin with a different lump before?

meanwhile I'm having fun sourcing replacement suspension and brake bits and pieces.; I'm holding back on anything engine and clutch related for obvious reasons !!
    1700 OHC marina based LWB roadster. HPH 415V
    Kit purchased and collected from Plymouth circa 1988
    Build completed early 1992
    SORN for 15+ years until August 2020 + major rebuild / refurbishment commenced