Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series

1. #21 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member
    Hi there,

Work starts this weekend, weather permitting! Gazebo on the front drive is the plan assuming no more gales after today !

I'm still struggling to find a replacement o series engine, so if anyone knows of one lying around on a garage floor somewhere that would be wonderful to know.

My plan is to get the lump out of the car this weekend, assess the extent of the damage and then refurbish the running gear etc while sorting next steps on the engine.

I will post pics as I go
    1700 OHC marina based LWB roadster. HPH 415V
    Kit purchased and collected from Plymouth circa 1988
    Build completed early 1992
    SORN for 15+ years until August 2020 + major rebuild / refurbishment commenced

2. #22 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    O series are indeed rare, stick with it, don’t be impatient.
    Have you tried the Morris Marina owners club they might be able to help.
    Failing that, it could be time to put a Zetec Inside.
    Good Luck.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

3. #23 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member
    Thanks Steve

Yes I'm on the Marina owners club forum, and am trying there. Not sure where to start if i have to change the engine, there appear to be so many things to sort, welding new engine & gear box mounts, new / amended propshaft, electrics, etc. not quite sure where i would start. any hints welcome !

4. #24 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    The weakness of the O series engine is that the valve clearances are shimmed and the valves recess into the valve seats eventually resulting in no clearance at all. This then causes the valve to burn out often splintering with 3 splits in it.

They are pretty straight forward to work on though.

There was also the 2.0 litre variant which was used in the Sherpa van with twin wheel base, as well as the 1.7 . They did however have lower compression pistons fitted.

The piston and bores were usually ok on the o series, just the cylinder head to attend to.

Btw, the O series was also used in some front wheel drive cars including the Maestro and Montego.

5. #25 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member
    Progress at last - engine out.
    One cylinder well and truly seized. Have sourced a factory spare 1/2 engine in fairly good nick. Everything looks compatible except the dipstick. The replacement block has a hole for a plug in dipstick housing. My old block just has the dipstick tube poking out from it. So wondering where to go from here, possibly having something machined to fit? Any ideas welcomed.

Anything stainless has stood the test of time well. Pretty much everything else needs either replacement of stripping down and refinishing.
    New clutch master cylinder in, new tie rod bushes in. i’d forgotten how tricky the latter were to install !!

6. #26 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    club member Club Member

7. #27 Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyp View Post
    Progress at last - engine out.
    One cylinder well and truly seized. Have sourced a factory spare 1/2 engine in fairly good nick. Everything looks compatible except the dipstick. The replacement block has a hole for a plug in dipstick housing. My old block just has the dipstick tube poking out from it. So wondering where to go from here, possibly having something machined to fit? Any ideas welcomed.

Anything stainless has stood the test of time well. Pretty much everything else needs either replacement of stripping down and refinishing.
    New clutch master cylinder in, new tie rod bushes in. i’d forgotten how tricky the latter were to install !!
    Not familiar with that engine but it looks as though the ‘new’ engine may have had the same dipstick tube but it has been snapped off? Peter.