Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series

Well it’s not been a great start.
    My LWB first registered in 1992 is in a sad state, much to my embarrassment and chagrin. I built it over a 4 year period and had it roadworthy just in time for our wedding. I then ran it as my main car for 8 or 9 years. A new house, children and life took over and the marlin was left alone for far too long. .....

After putting it off for more than 3 years, today I finally lifted the covers and lid on my roadster. Aside from the obvious deterioration of all the soft and flexible bits, the engine has seized and no amount of “encouragement” to turn it over manually has worked.

So the medium refurbishment i anticipated is now a really major refurbishment / rebuild with either; engine rebuild, replacement engine like for like or a new power plant with all the associated extra work that would entail. Phew...!

Many deep breaths and a large glass of wine later I am slightly more sanguine but still deflated.

Hopefully my next post will be more up beat

Mikeyp
    1700 OHC marina based LWB roadster. HPH 415V
    Kit purchased and collected from Plymouth circa 1988
    Build completed early 1992
    SORN for 15+ years until August 2020 + major rebuild / refurbishment commenced

Re: LWB refurbishment - based on marina 1.7 O series

Good luck with it, I’m sure there are lot’s of us on here who have had similar experiences.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi Mikeyp,
      Take the spark plugs out and squirt a bit of diesel in the bores then leave to soak for a day or so then try turning over by hand with the plugs still removed. Sorry if you have already tried this.
      Keep us posted with pictures please and good luck.
      Cheers, Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
        Hi Mikeyp,
        Take the spark plugs out and squirt a bit of diesel in the bores then leave to soak for a day or so then try turning over by hand with the plugs still removed. Sorry if you have already tried this.
        Keep us posted with pictures please and good luck.
        Cheers, Martin.
        Patience is a virtue, 24 hrs after being seized for a year or more is nothing.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Putting diesel down the bores will quickly end up in the sump , to slow that down try mixing with some red automatic transmission fluid. Hopefully the Auto transmission oil will get to sit around the ring surface. With the plugs removed place in 4th gear and gently rock it back and forth.
          If you get it to move the tiniest bit then add more oil mix to the bores to prevent piston ring breakage when trying for a complete revolution.

Apparently distilled vinegar or coke(not diet) may also help free off the rings, so they would be my plan "B"

Comment

Before I acquired it my Roadster had sat for ten years outside under a tarp with no rocker box, accumulating water in the sump and more interesting in the inlet manifolds. It took over a year to get it running properly as a rolling restoration. Keep the faith and patience, don't be afraid to walk away and come back tomorrow if it is not going right. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you all for the words of encouragement and advice, it is much appreciated. I knew it was going to be a bit of a challenge, but perhaps not quite as extensive as it has turned out!

I will give the diesel squirts a go at the weekend thank you, meanwhile this week will be about sourcing running gear replacement parts, seals etc

When it stops raining i will get a some pictures organised and try to keep this thread updated

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyp View Post
                Thank you all for the words of encouragement and advice, it is much appreciated. I knew it was going to be a bit of a challenge, but perhaps not quite as extensive as it has turned out!

I will give the diesel squirts a go at the weekend thank you, meanwhile this week will be about sourcing running gear replacement parts, seals etc

When it stops raining i will get a some pictures organised and try to keep this thread updated
                Check carefully things like the thermostat housing that has an alarming tendency to corrode. They are very rare parts.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

OK - sounds like another one for the list!

Comment

Hi all - a rather belated update

After many attempts with diesel and then cola, I have not been able to free the cylinders so its looking like engine out and replacement. I have come across a potential 1.7 or 2.0L O series (crated - ex factory spare) at CabMasters. I'm still awaiting confirmation from Cabmaster that its still there, which engine size and what sort of price he's asking for, hopefully I will learn more after lockdown lifts. I have not been able to find any other options on line, but may well not be looking in the right places.

My reason for replacing like for like is saving hassle with new engine mounts, gearboxes and propshaft changes etc. However I am open to considering any reasonably priced alternatives, although a bit nervous about the resulting paperwork and recertification. Has anyone re-engined their marlin with a different lump before?

meanwhile I'm having fun sourcing replacement suspension and brake bits and pieces.; I'm holding back on anything engine and clutch related for obvious reasons !!

Comment

Purely a thought, but removing the engine/box and getting overhaul quotes might be a way forward ?

PS going back to your contacts with Ben Caswell some years ago it would be good to get a pic/pics of
                      the car for the archive, my details are in Pitstop

Rgds Dave Cunnington Club Archivist

Comment

I am a great believer in PlusGas ever since using it during my engineering apprenticeship. It seems pretty rare these days except in industrial suppliers, but I think it’s available from Screwfix.

But, in any event it is probable that you will have to dismantle the engine to clean up the bores.
                        Patience is a virtue when dismantling a seized motor, haste will be your enemy.

A new old stock engine is likely to need thorough inspection, one stuck piston ring could be Yuit downfall.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Dave

Having finally come to terms with the fact that the engine has to come out whatever happens, your suggestion is a good one.

Assuming i have sorted the technology, please see photo attached

Kind regards

Mike

E4758098-3745-409E-B8DC-94EF0D8E6C31.jpeg

Comment

Steve

Thank you for the words of wisdom, my naive assumption was that if i took the plugs out i should be able to turn the crankshaft thus proving things were moving? Have i got that right?

Comment

The engine will not turn if the pistons are seized in the bores, and as Steve says you could exacerbate the problem !

The clutch is probably seized on as well, a standard Marina thing !

Why not bite the bullet, get the engine/box out and have a professional decide whether the engine is salvageable or
                              not before you throw more money at a new (but unknown) engine?

Call me if talking would help you

Thanks for the pic, one more for the archive collection

Rgds DC

Comment

Working...
                              X