Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unobtanium spares for the Marina roadster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unobtanium spares for the Marina roadster?

I have started compiling a list of bits I will need for the refurbishment of my Roadster. It's getting pretty big!
    Is there anything that is really unobtainable now? For example my front tie bars are pretty corroded and it would have been nice to fit new ones but so far I have been unable to find replacements either new or used.
    I wondered if any of the bits from the Morris Minor are compatible?

Cheers Robin

Re: Unobtanium spares for the Marina roadster?

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
    I have started compiling a list of bits I will need for the refurbishment of my Roadster. It's getting pretty big!
    Is there anything that is really unobtainable now? For example my front tie bars are pretty corroded and it would have been nice to fit new ones but so far I have been unable to find replacements either new or used.
    I wondered if any of the bits from the Morris Minor are compatible?

Cheers Robin
    Unfortunately not, neither the Minor or Mini parts are directly compatible.
    it would be easy enough for the average machine shop to manufacture some from medium carbon steel, not mild steel which would be prone to bending under load.
    Many people have chosen to have the standard ones upgraded to Adjustable ones, there are many different variants but I like the ones with Left and Right hand threads.
    It should be possible to use the Morris 1000 versions as a basis, but machining is still required.

Usually the wear on the tie rods is immediately behind the large washer where they have rattled on the chassis mounting.
    Its easy to build them up with a bit of weld and then file them back down again. If the mounting holes in the chassis are similarly worn ideally they should be patched as they will only damage the new Superflex bushes that I am sure you will fit.

The bolt attaching the tie rod to the lower arm is, or should be High Tensile. A homemade podger will help you align things during assembly.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 20-08-20, 12:55 PM.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Robin, I have a pair of front tie bars you can have. They are slightly worn in the area where they attach to the chassis, exactly as Steve has described, but I think they are useable They only came off my car because I made and fitted adjustable ones.

Comment

Alternatively, if you want new: http://www.oliveiravalentimlda.com/N...-Morris-Marina

Comment

Originally posted by jon_wilkinson View Post
          That’s a remarkable find, other countries including Portugal are Malta and South Africa, Australia and New Zealand all potential sources, where Marinas were assembled from crates of parts.
          All you have to do is to pay the shipping to the U.K. Order before Dec 31, 2020.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
            Robin, I have a pair of front tie bars you can have. They are slightly worn in the area where they attach to the chassis, exactly as Steve has described, but I think they are useable They only came off my car because I made and fitted adjustable ones.
            Thanks. However before I take you up on that offer could you tell me how and why you made adjustable replacements? Pictures would be good if possible.

Cheers Robin

Comment

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
              Thanks. However before I take you up on that offer could you tell me how and why you made adjustable replacements? Pictures would be good if possible.

Cheers Robin
              i think personally, it’s ‘because it’s there’, rather than for specific reasons of adjusting the castor angle. A properly refurbished front suspension should be the jumping off point, rather than the hunt for nirvana.

It has been alleged, but never demonstrated that the roadster chassis welding jig was not as accurate as might be desired.
              Without being totally level, it’s pretty much impossible to measure and compare both sides of the suspension without accurate measuring equipment like inclinometers etc. Not usually found in a tool box.
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I made these tie bars for my roadster. I used 25mm steel tubing with nuts welded at each end. Cut the old tie bar in half, tapped a thread on each end thereby keeping the sureflex bush. This was not to make any adjustments, purely to amend the difference on each side, about 4mm.
                Attached Files

Comment

I didn't fit the adjustable tie bars to adjust the castor angle as some have because that's largely fixed by the geometry of the chassis and, only in my opinion, there is a risk of imparting strain into the suspension set up if you try and pull the bottom arm forward to increase the castor angle. Again only in my opinion, when you brake sharply in a Marina based Roadster you put the tie bars in tension and compress the rubber bushes slightly (less so with polyurethane ones). This has the effect of slightly decreasing the front wheel toe in. What I found when braking hard (not that I did it very often, I hasten to add) was that the car wandered a bit. By fitting a rose bearing at each end and taking away this movement this issue was completely eliminated. Other than that I don't believe it made any other difference to the car's handling. Unfortunately I cannot put up photos because I no longer have the car nor the drawings but if you were really interested I could personally sketch it out from memory. Personally I would just fit the Superflex bushes and make sure the tie rod ends where they join the chassis and the holes themselves are in reasonable condition as previously suggested.

Comment

When I recommissioned my roadster I replaced the tie bar bushes with Superflex versions and it made a big difference to the handling. I assume it is because the old rubber ones were worn and lead to my having less caster than it was designed for.
                    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
                      OK. Please PM me with how much you would like for them.
                      Cheers Robin

Comment

hi andy...
                        i need new bushes for my tie bars, but cant seem to source them... i tried superflex who seem to have planty, but it dosent actually say for a morris marina ital, and when i put morris in their search box, it says not found.??
                        my bars are fine but the rubbers are totally gone... and the nuts at the front are hard to get off... any suggestions.?
                        cheers john

Comment

Superflex part number SPF 669 (x4)
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by johnsamharte View Post
                            hi andy...
                            i need new bushes for my tie bars, but cant seem to source them... i tried superflex who seem to have planty, but it dosent actually say for a morris marina ital, and when i put morris in their search box, it says not found.??
                            my bars are fine but the rubbers are totally gone... and the nuts at the front are hard to get off... any suggestions.?
                            cheers john

Marina and Ital superflex bushes are identical.
                            Last edited by stevejgreen; 03-02-21, 01:40 PM.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by johnsamharte View Post
                              hi andy...
                              cheers john
                              The website is a bit clunky and their search engine does not work very well. To get to all the available parts for Marinas you need to navigate. Pick on "products" then "vehicle specific" then "BMC" then "marina".
                              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                              - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Working...
                              X