Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Type 9 Gearbox in a Roadster

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
  1. #41 Re: Type 9 Gearbox in a Roadster 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
    It maybe beneficial to drain your gearbox oil into a clean container and see how much swarf comes out.
    If only a Ford Type 9 and many other gearboxes actually had a drain plug at the lowest point.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

2. #42 Re: Type 9 Gearbox in a Roadster 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member AndrewKB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevejgreen View Post
    If only a Ford Type 9 and many other gearboxes actually had a drain plug at the lowest point.
    Oh don't get me started on that old chestnut ;-) I couldn't agree more and really can't understand why Ford expect you to drain the T9 through the filler hole. Unbelievable!

3. #43 Re: Type 9 Gearbox in a Roadster 
    Didn’t mean to poke you with a stick Andrew, but Ford are not the only guilty ones.

If only it was that easy as suggested, reality soon kicks in when you search for a non existent drain plug, drop the gearbox, usually again, and tip it in several different angles to get the last drop out, after half of it has gone down your arm from the tail shaft after you pulled the sleeve out, thinking it was sensible, then flushing it with diesel etc, etc. and sweeping it with a magnet whilst thinking that most of the wearing parts are a bronze alloy so won’t be found.
    If you find anything magnetic, the estimated bill trebles.

Can you tell, I’ve lived it.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

4. #44 Re: Type 9 Gearbox in a Roadster 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Ok fair enough I was unaware of the non existant plug on that particular box, however Is it not possible to drill and tap a drain plug in that gearbox in situ somewhere along its lowest point eg an M12 thread because the oil is thick, to speed up drainage versus an M8 or M10 hole?

Alternatively is there not a bolt on the lower part of the gearbox casing that holds the casing together that could be removed to let the oil out?

It would of course be necessary to know the exact positioning of the gears before drilling the drain hole?

If that isn't doable insert a tube through the filler hole and suck it out by vacuum handpump.

Surely that's easier than removing the Gearbox ?
    Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 04-09-2020 at 06:13 PM.

5. #45 Re: Type 9 Gearbox in a Roadster 
    Do as I did with a Marina back axle whose differential had failed catastrophically leaving many steel particles inside.
    The axles were never fitted with drain plugs either. It’s really not unusual. I did look at the idea of sucking out the oil, which was impractical as you could never be sure just where the end of the pipe got to as it snaked around the gear cluster.
    Its nothing like sucking the oil out of an engine sump which has a pan to collect the oil and importantly a near vertical dipstick.
    But with this particular axle, once it was off the car and drained of much of its oil through the opening where the halfshaft once was, with a fully dismantled axle I drilled and brazed a threaded boss and plugged it at the lowest point. Quite possibly the most pointless job I have ever done. It had lasted 30+ years without being drained and probably will last another 30 more after refurbishment.
    I brazed the boss in place because I had no idea how thick the casing was at the lowest point, wanted a flat face for the plug to seal a washer on and have sufficient threads to be properly secure.

Drilling a hole in an oil filled gearbox would be an act of desperation, a solution if perhaps you were a CPO at sea and the captain was yelling at you because the ship was dead in the water, with the knowledge that it was emergency engineering, the amount of oil running down your arm was irrelevant, but most importantly the bodge job would be logged and the second you got back to a suitable port, the problem would be rectified properly.
    MOC member since 05/97

6. #46 Re: Type 9 Gearbox in a Roadster 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member andyf's Avatar
    It gets more interesting. I asked what angle the engine should be at on the turbosport forum. Apparently the carb should be level which tilts the engine back at 3-4°. In my case the carb is tilted forward at 4° so I should drop the gearbox mount to get it at the correct angle. This should reduce the U/J working angles.

I'm going to give it a go at the weekend and re-measure the angles to see where that gets me.

20200909_205350.jpg
    Last edited by andyf; 10-09-2020 at 08:01 AM.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986