Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Marina Roadster Spares

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Marina Roadster Spares 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    Trying to get rid of the last of my Roadster spares. All that's left now is an unused 4.11:1 diff for the 1.3 engined car and a steering rack of unknown condition but doesn't look too bad. Free to anyone who wants to collect them.

2. #2 Re: Marina Roadster Spares 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Is that a Mk1 or Mk2 steering rack. Their mountings are different and they are not directly interchangeable.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

3. #3 Re: Marina Roadster Spares 
    I have to admit that I don't know the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2. Some time ago I replaced the rack on my 1971 Marina based Roadster without realising that there were two variants. How can I tell the difference?

4. #4 Re: Marina Roadster Spares 
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrum View Post
    I have to admit that I don't know the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2. Some time ago I replaced the rack on my 1971 Marina based Roadster without realising that there were two variants. How can I tell the difference?

for those who want to know the differences, somewhat inevitably, a document is available on Keepandshare. It’s free to access. I would rather it stand alone as most relevant answers are there too.
    As I intimated, it’s all down to the rack mounting difference and a change in length which is very odd considering that the chassis jigs did not change from one to the other. Very odd as the swivels at each end are identical.
    Either way, given that your rack is of indeterminate pedigree, it’s worth changing out the ubiquitous bush as a normal matter of good practice.
    Last edited by stevejgreen; 29-08-2020 at 08:52 AM.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

5. #5 Re: Marina Roadster Spares 
    club member Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Re: Steering Rack

A quick way of telling is the MK2 rack has 2 different sized ends on it. The O/S is 35mm and the N/S is 29mm, whereas the MK1 is 29mm on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrum View Post

6. #6 Re: Marina Roadster Spares 
    Quote Originally Posted by listerjp2 View Post
    Re: Steering Rack

A quick way of telling is the MK2 rack has 2 different sized ends on it. The O/S is 35mm and the N/S is 29mm, whereas the MK1 is 29mm on both sides.
    Nice pic, I might borrow it and add it to my doc, along with the others, is it copyright?

Do you have part numbers for the mounts, I’m pretty sure they would have been imperial sizes and not metric!
    MOC member since 05/97

7. #7 Re: Marina Roadster Spares 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member Blue Marlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevejgreen View Post
    Nice pic, I might borrow it and add it to my doc, along with the others, is it copyright?

Do you have part numbers for the mounts, I’m pretty sure they would have been imperial sizes and not metric!

Help yourself to the pic Steve, if you still want it. It's one I took during Brums rebuild.

Derek
    Stumbling around in the dark
    Marina based SWB roadster
    Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

8. #8 Re: Marina Roadster Spares 
    club member Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    There 2 other differences the MK1 rack is 40.0" in length and the MK2 is 40.25" and the MK1 doesn't have the filler hole in the centre of the rack tube.

Part numbers for fixtures on the MK2 ( mine is a MK2 so these are the only ones I have ) are:

Rubber Rack Mount Pinion end 21H6799
    Rubber Rack Mount Support end 21H6800
    2 x clamps FAM1120
    2 x U-Bolts FAM1121
    4 X Nuts LNZ205
    4 x Washers WC108051

Adrian

9. #9 Re: Marina Roadster Spares 
    Mine does have the hole in the centre of the rack tube so I guess its a Mk2. There is a number stamped on the pinion body which is 49 86R.
    Attached Images