Marina Roadster Spares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Roadster Spares

Trying to get rid of the last of my Roadster spares. All that's left now is an unused 4.11:1 diff for the 1.3 engined car and a steering rack of unknown condition but doesn't look too bad. Free to anyone who wants to collect them.

Re: Marina Roadster Spares

Is that a Mk1 or Mk2 steering rack. Their mountings are different and they are not directly interchangeable.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I have to admit that I don't know the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2. Some time ago I replaced the rack on my 1971 Marina based Roadster without realising that there were two variants. How can I tell the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
        I have to admit that I don't know the difference between the Mk1 and Mk2. Some time ago I replaced the rack on my 1971 Marina based Roadster without realising that there were two variants. How can I tell the difference?

for those who want to know the differences, somewhat inevitably, a document is available on Keepandshare. It’s free to access. I would rather it stand alone as most relevant answers are there too.
        As I intimated, it’s all down to the rack mounting difference and a change in length which is very odd considering that the chassis jigs did not change from one to the other. Very odd as the swivels at each end are identical.
        Either way, given that your rack is of indeterminate pedigree, it’s worth changing out the ubiquitous bush as a normal matter of good practice.
        Last edited by stevejgreen; 29-08-20, 08:52 AM.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Re: Steering Rack

A quick way of telling is the MK2 rack has 2 different sized ends on it. The O/S is 35mm and the N/S is 29mm, whereas the MK1 is 29mm on both sides.

Originally posted by ggrum View Post

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
            Re: Steering Rack

A quick way of telling is the MK2 rack has 2 different sized ends on it. The O/S is 35mm and the N/S is 29mm, whereas the MK1 is 29mm on both sides.

Nice pic, I might borrow it and add it to my doc, along with the others, is it copyright?

Do you have part numbers for the mounts, I’m pretty sure they would have been imperial sizes and not metric!
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

There 2 other differences the MK1 rack is 40.0" in length and the MK2 is 40.25" and the MK1 doesn't have the filler hole in the centre of the rack tube.

Part numbers for fixtures on the MK2 ( mine is a MK2 so these are the only ones I have ) are:

Rubber Rack Mount Pinion end 21H6799
              Rubber Rack Mount Support end 21H6800
              2 x clamps FAM1120
              2 x U-Bolts FAM1121
              4 X Nuts LNZ205
              4 x Washers WC108051

Adrian

Comment

Mine does have the hole in the centre of the rack tube so I guess its a Mk2. There is a number stamped on the pinion body which is 49 86R.
                Attached Files

Comment

I am not too sure about the filler hole comment not being on mk1 racks.
                  I have a mk1 and it definitely has a filler hole. This certainly looks like a mk1 rack and has a filler hole.
                  In Adrians picture, post #5, it shows both a mk1 rack (fitted to the car) and a mk2 rack (resting on bonnet sides) and the both have filling holes.
                  Also, I was lead to believe that the hole doubled up as a way to centre the rack when fitting.
                  Last edited by jon_cox; 27-08-20, 03:52 PM.
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                  - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

I was only going on the MK1 rack that I have which I bought in error.

Oh well, as always, thats is British Leyland for you.

The old story of the parts bin.

Regards

Adrian

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
                      Also, I was lead to believe that the hole doubled up as a way to centre the rack when fitting.
                      Yes that's right I remember doing that when I first fitted the rack back in 86... funny the things you remember!
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

One of the downsides of this forum is that the search engine is lacking and that this thread is about Marina Roadster spares but has veered off rapidly after my question about the application of a steering rack. A search in five years time, however would you phrase it, would not necessarily find it.

My doc has been unedited since 2015, should it be updated with new ‘found’ data or is it still a reasonable source?
                        I would be happy to edit it If there are verified sources of information? Meanwhile it stays with 1166 downloads.

Carry on nit picking.
                        Last edited by stevejgreen; 27-08-20, 05:50 PM.
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I'm in the market for a working Mk1 rack if anyone has one going? Mine failed Mot as it had been stood a long while before I bought and steering was stiff. I thought if I topped up the oil and used it a while it would losen up but it spat the oil out of the drivers side.

Comment

Originally posted by dalescarr View Post
                            I'm in the market for a working Mk1 rack if anyone has one going? Mine failed Mot as it had been stood a long while before I bought and steering was stiff. I thought if I topped up the oil and used it a while it would losen up but it spat the oil out of the drivers side.
                            At the risk of repeating myself, take a look at Keepandshare, lots of info on steering racks.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Originally posted by dalescarr View Post
                              I'm in the market for a working Mk1 rack if anyone has one going? Mine failed Mot as it had been stood a long while before I bought and steering was stiff. I thought if I topped up the oil and used it a while it would loosen up but it spat the oil out of the drivers side.
                              I had this problem, one of the reason I stopped using mine. When I recommissioned it I greased it rather than adding oil. Simply pop off the boots and smother the rack in grease and work it back and forth to distribute it. Might be easier than trying to find another rack.
                              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Working...
                              X