Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marina Roadster Spares

Originally posted by dalescarr View Post
    I'm in the market for a working Mk1 rack if anyone has one going? Mine failed Mot as it had been stood a long while before I bought and steering was stiff. I thought if I topped up the oil and used it a while it would losen up but it spat the oil out of the drivers side.

Where is the oil coming from? If it's just from the boots I would have thought you should just be able to get generic replacements.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

used but could be useful??
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

MK2 😂

Comment

I will, pm you

Adrian

Comment

Some of us can help by direct action, rather than by words.

Ask other members who I have supplied knowledge and parts.

Adrian

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
            One of the downsides of this forum is that the search engine is lacking and that this thread is about Marina Roadster spares but has veered off rapidly after my question about the application of a steering rack. A search in five years time, however would you phrase it, would not necessarily find it.

My doc has been unedited since 2015, should it be updated with new ‘found’ data or is it still a reasonable source?
            I would be happy to edit it If there are verified sources of information? Meanwhile it stays with 1166 downloads.

Carry on nit picking.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
              Some of us can help by direct action, rather than by words.

Ask other members who I have supplied knowledge and parts.

Adrian
              If you would like to fly out to Spain....

Covid has made face to face communication prolematic for many, how many KitCar shows have been cancelled this year, and maybe next year. Written information does not suffer the same restrictions.

Carry on nit picking.
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Behind the bike shed it is then, looking forward to playtime!!!

Comment

Back to the original subject of this message, I forgot to mention that I also have a pair of rear springs which I believe are saloon/coupe. A bit rusty but I'm sure they will clean up ok.
                  If none of this stuff is wanted it will all be scrapped sometime over the next few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by ggrum View Post
                    Back to the original subject of this message, I forgot to mention that I also have a pair of rear springs which I believe are saloon/coupe. A bit rusty but I'm sure they will clean up ok.
                    If none of this stuff is wanted it will all be scrapped sometime over the next few weeks.
                    Back to my initial response! are these springs from presumably 1.3 or maybe a 1.8 donor, are both saloons?
                    It’s important as the 1.3 leaf springs are somewhat softer. This is significant if you are following a thread discussing the longevity of propshaft UJ’s and the angles that the prop shaft can present to the gearbox.

I am sure I don’t need to remind people where the spring data is shared, here or there but weak rear springs can result in catastrophic porpoising, just as weak front torsion bars (much easier to measure dimensionally) can push a suspension beyond its design criteria, even if it was normal for BL in that era.
                    Jez did some interesting work in this area a few years ago, I won’t try to emulate his findings.

The moral of the story is, that that Marina parts are not common throughout the range, including the ITAL model, even though they appear to be physically the same.
                    Last edited by stevejgreen; 03-09-20, 04:18 PM.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
                        Nice pic, I might borrow it and add it to my doc, along with the others, is it copyright?

Do you have part numbers for the mounts, I’m pretty sure they would have been imperial sizes and not metric!

Help yourself to the pic Steve, if you still want it. It's one I took during Brums rebuild.

Derek
                        Stumbling around in the dark
                        Marina based SWB roadster
                        Alfa Romeo 1750 with 5 speed box

Comment

Does anyone have some spare spring hangers (the lower end mount of the shock absorber) that I could purchase?. I want to modify them to add the mounting for anti-tramp bars.
                          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                            Does anyone have some spare spring hangers (the lower end mount of the shock absorber) that I could purchase?. I want to modify them to add the mounting for anti-tramp bars.
                            Can I suggest a new post because anti tramp could be of interest to many others.

One thing that makes a difference is the ubiquitous Superflex bushes and more importantly is Spax adjustables for the rear, they are far from vertical and can reduce lateral motion.

i am very much of the opinion that stabilising and improving the standard setup, comes before radical changes. At least then you start from a solid base.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Yes Steve, I agree that upgrading the bushes is a good place to start and I will be doing that as part of this exercise. The first target would be to replace the saddle bushes (I think that's what they are called) the ones that the ubolts clamp around the leaf spring if that makes sense as mine look very second hand now. I'll start a thread on the anti-tramp bars when I get round to building them. Currently I'm thinking of taking the same approach as Sylva did on their live axle cars as it is quite neat and tidy, it also requires no chassis mods...
                              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Hiya

Could you elaborate on the Sylva upgrade is?

Cheers.

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                                Yes Steve, I agree that upgrading the bushes is a good place to start and I will be doing that as part of this exercise. The first target would be to replace the saddle bushes (I think that's what they are called) the ones that the ubolts clamp around the leaf spring if that makes sense as mine look very second hand now. I'll start a thread on the anti-tramp bars when I get round to building them. Currently I'm thinking of taking the same approach as Sylva did on their live axle cars as it is quite neat and tidy, it also requires no chassis mods...

Comment

Working...
                                X