Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1.8TC exhaust system options

Originally posted by Ye Ol Ripper View Post
    My Roadster has the 2 bolts from the inlet manifold going into the exhaust manifold , ie I have the 1.8TC manifold fitted .

As previously mentioned my exhaust runs under the chassis rai and which from what I have read yesterday, seems to be a better method for gas flow.

Furthermore, interestingly the side mounted silencer only uses the Marlin chassis welded exhaust hanger for the attachment of a flexible strap as the silencer used sits further back than normal towards the rear wheel.

Possibly because of the location of the silencer,this may possibly make the bends more gradual, which maybe a point to consider when making your exhaust.

I do think there is scope to improve on what's been created by the original builder of my Roadster, but importantly it has passed over some very high speed bumps without touching them so far.
    I look forward to reading about your findings and conclusions in Pitstop.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Robin, are these pics any use ?

Higher res available if you want them

Rgds DC
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
        Robin, are these pics any use ?

Higher res available if you want them

Rgds DC

Magic! Just what I was looking for. Is that the Marlin original arrangement or did you have it made? And yes - higher res pictures would be good.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

As far as I can see and for what it is worth that looks the same as my 1800TC. Might it be easier to turn the exhaust manifold upside down and take it through the bonnet a'la tractor? Get the heat out of the engine bay in one hit. Joking, or am I?

Comment

Robin, email me as in Pitstop and I can attach pics for you

Alternatively look in Build Diaries for Q67 GJA

AFAIK they were Marlin parts, similar to other Roadsters I have seen

Rgds DC

Comment

Hi All

I sure that my original TC side exit exhaust from Marlin in 84 was made by Double S Exhaust in Cullompton in Devon according to the internet they are still trading they might have templates, certainly worth a phone call.
              Mick.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinmick View Post
                Hi All

I sure that my original TC side exit exhaust from Marlin in 84 was made by Double S Exhaust in Cullompton in Devon according to the internet they are still trading they might have templates, certainly worth a phone call.
                Mick.

I have been in touch with them. They remember making them but disposed of all the patterns some time ago :-(
                they did offer to make one to measure but as I am north of London and they are in Devon that would be a bit impractical.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Hi Robin

Its a shame that although its nice to know that they remember making them and could make you another with a pattern, unfortunately we should have been going to Devon next week for 3 weeks holiday and I would have taken my exhaust system down to Devon (I am refurbishing my Roadster at the moment so the exhaust is off the car) as a pattern for them to make you one, but due to the Covid virus we have cancelled all our holidays this year. Hope you can source one ok.

Regards

Mick.

Comment

Originally posted by marlinmick View Post
                    Hope you can source one ok.
                    A plan is beginning to form...

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                      It's possible to butcher an MGB downpipe to exit under the chassis rail (I did this back in the day and IIRC the chrome-bumper downpipe is the shortest version), but getting the 2-1 section bent to exit via the bonnet side would probably require trailering the car to the likes of Maniflow, Custom Chrome or other professionals. Another option is an MGA manifold, which is a 3-1 system, meaning only 1 pipe needs contorting. I have this arrangement, although it still (with flexi-pipe, temporarily, long-term!) exits under the chassis...one day I might get around to asking Custom Chrome to finish the job properly...but for now it works fine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11812[/ATTACH]
                      Old thread this I realise. But do you by any chance have any pictures of the finished exhaust system?
                      Cheers Robin

Comment

I don't Robin, sorry. However, will be at Stoneleigh on Sunday if you are going and want to have a look. It's not particularly elegant, but does the job!
                        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_red_roadster View Post
                          I don't Robin, sorry. However, will be at Stoneleigh on Sunday if you are going and want to have a look. It's not particularly elegant, but does the job!
                          Thanks. I normally go to Stonleigh but this year unable to go as I am in Inverness! (Holiday)
                          Cheers Robin

Comment

After a lot of Googling and general phaffing about I have purchased this exhaust manifold.
                            patriot h4800 exhaust by Robin Martin, on Flickr

A 3 into 1 design that hugs the block. I reckon with a bit of luck I should be able to bring the exhaust out the side, as Marlin originally intended, either under or over the chassis rail. So the next question is does anyone have any experience of buying a new silencer. There are loads for sale on Ebay, most of which I guess are from China and of dubious quality. I am looking for something that is not outrageuosly loud, but not too quiet either.....

Cheers, Robin,

Comment

When I replaced the exhaust on my previous Roadster I used Jetex parts. Good quality and decent price for stainless. https://jetex.co.uk/custom-exhaust-parts/

I bought the biggest oval box I could to reduce noise to a minimum. Had to tilt it to fit under the running board but if you are less concerned about volume they have a wide range of oval and round to suit your needs.

CIMG1440.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X