Marlins in france

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlins in france

I’m thinking of bringing the Old Girl out here to cruise the empty roads.
    I can tax and insure her in uk then take her en vacance, but what about long term? The Frogs don’t have a kit car scene ( unless of course it’s Renault Citroen or Peugeot)
    Anyone have any experience of registering a Marlin across the water?

Re: Marlins in france

Whatever is true today is likely to change on 1/1/2021, the official Brexit day which will limit you to 90 days in 182, unless the UK reaches a deal with the EU which sounds increasingly unlikely.
    You will have to determine which country you wish to be resident in for tax purposes which complicates things further because your driving licence must also follow your resident status.
    A lot of regulation was pre existing but glossed over by the Expats. Now a whole can of worms has been opened up, that the Brexiteers claimed would never happen when they voted to leave four years ago.

My information comes from Spain, things will be different in France but not that different as it’s the UK that is leaving the EU and there is little or no incentive for france or spain to break the rules, if the U.K. is not willing to reciprocate.

I would not hold my breath.

Sorry to get political, but I’ve watched this coming from Spain and am currently struggling to get a 2013 UK registered Discovery 4 properly matriculated over here. I expect costs to be in the region of €2000?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

At least one Roadster was imported into France by a local out there and finally got registered there.Pit stop Issue 212 June – July 2019
      also this may make good reading
      Taking your car out of the UK - when VAT is not payable on a car you're exporting, procedures, registration and vehicle tax.
      Last edited by b_caswell; 04-09-20, 03:37 PM.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
        At least one Roadster was imported into France by a local out there and finally got registered there.
        also this may make good reading
        https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-o...than-12-months

First paragraph.
        The rules for passports, driving, EHIC cards, pet travel and more may change from 1 January 2021.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

I did it with my Berly, you need to look at the FFVE site there are all the requirements listed, it takes about 4-5 months. I t took me longer as my car had an engine which had not had its number updated on its V5, so had to sort that first, then after all straightforward, you just have to have a Control Technique with the Uk reg shown when you visit the local Prefecture to reg in france.
          pm me your contact details, I will try to find all my documentation in the meantime!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
            I did it with my Berly, you need to look at the FFVE site there are all the requirements listed, it takes about 4-5 months. I t took me longer as my car had an engine which had not had its number updated on its V5, so had to sort that first, then after all straightforward, you just have to have a Control Technique with the Uk reg shown when you visit the local Prefecture to reg in france.
            pm me your contact details, I will try to find all my documentation in the meantime!
            Noted 4-5 months so it’s marginal for 1/1/2021, you will lose two weeks for xmas. The process is nothing like the U.K. they are far more detailed on the paperwork.
            I make the assumption that Tony is already resident in France, it can make a massive difference.
            You will need a good French lawyer which will come st a cost.

Good luck, I think you will need it. Sorry to piss on your parade but according to Brexiteers, nothing will change, it already is!
            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

If you have the thing in motion prior to the prescriptive 31 Dec 2020 you should be fine, I speak from my experience with my application for French nationality(don't ask why!!), I had to lodge my application before 31 march to avoid the necessity of a gcse equivalent in French,which from 1 april is now necessary.
              And yes, I am living here full time!

Comment

Being formally resident makes a difference.
                In Spain, you have to get all your ducks in a row and be able to prove that you are working towards formalising you’re status.
                Paperwork is everything, a friend has just driven a LHD car, formerly from the US and used from a USAF base in Lincolnshire.
                He thought the transfer should be easy, it was UK registered. But on the V5 it says Engine number - Unknown.
                This has proved to be a stumbling block for the spanish. They want to know if it is the original engine or not and there is no paperwork available as evidence, so the process stalls.

What I am trying to point out is that the EU system was always stricter than the U.K. and it’s about to get more difficult. What people achieved last year with an unusual vehicle is about to become virtually impossible next year, unless you have all your ducks in a row.

Unless you are fluent in the local language, it’s best to deal with a local legal entity that does the job professionally.
                MOC member since 05/97

Comment

As with others, when I bought the Berly it came with a file of documentation and within that file was a garage receipt stating fitment of new /different engine(it was new out of Pt Talbot) and quoting the engine number. When I applied for normalisation I attached a copy of the receipt and a photos of the engine bay showing the number and a an overall view of the car with the bonnet open , to create a sort of audit trail, it worked for me!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Stott View Post
                    As with others, when I bought the Berly it came with a file of documentation and within that file was a garage receipt stating fitment of new /different engine(it was new out of Pt Talbot) and quoting the engine number. When I applied for normalisation I attached a copy of the receipt and a photos of the engine bay showing the number and a an overall view of the car with the bonnet open , to create a sort of audit trail, it worked for me!!
                    Evidence that all your ducks need to be in a row and not just the paperwork for your car but residency etc as well.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Sorry I forgot to add, the normalisation was with the DVLA using my then UK address. FFVE etc with my new French address!! so yes maybe a little convoluted

Comment

Talking to a friend in France he recommends a Facebook group, Registering Vehicles in France.
                        At first glance its a good resource, not that that is a personal recommendation, but it does link to professionals who understand the process.
                        I hope it helps!
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Thanks for the info. My email is [email protected]

Comment

And a Romero appears -- south of Bordeaux I think

Comment

C438 TMO no carte gris

Last for sale in Apr 2019, also in France

Cheers Tony

Rgds DC