Is this an early Marlin? Listing on Car and Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an early Marlin? Listing on Car and Classic

Up for auction and described as a very early Roadster but looks very different.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1262656

13575999.jpg

Re: Is this an early Marlin? Listing on Car and Classic

Mistaken identity its a Dwornick/Vincent MPH nice car if the paper work was sorted out!
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b_caswell View Post
      Mistaken identity its a Dwornick/Vincent MPH nice car if the paper work was sorted out!
      I was just about to reply with the same thing, BUT something is just not quite right for it to be a Vincent MPH. The bonnet is wrong (too horizontal / flat), the scuttle is wrong, the grill is oversized, the wings are a slightly different shape, the rear is too short, the car looks narrower, the front valence is too short, the windscreen is different.........
      I am wondering if this is a bespoke build of a Riley MPH replica built on a Marlin Roadster MK1 (Triumph) chassis???
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Hey Jon, after developing your Sherlockian skills with the Swanage Roadster, how about getting this one checked out.

Yes it looks Vincent like but the dimensions certainly look more Marlinesque

Would be good to know (hint hint) as we have plenty more Roadsters still to identify

FWIW I'm currently trying to sort out details on a a T based car in Italy and a YKC in Bulgaria

Rgds DC

Comment

With that plate, sell it to a Dr Who fan, or buy it for the plate alone, and a bunch of spares!
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
            I was just about to reply with the same thing, BUT something is just not quite right for it to be a Vincent MPH. The bonnet is wrong (too horizontal / flat), the scuttle is wrong, the grill is oversized, the wings are a slightly different shape, the rear is too short, the car looks narrower, the front valence is too short, the windscreen is different.........
            I am wondering if this is a bespoke build of a Riley MPH replica built on a Marlin Roadster MK1 (Triumph) chassis???

Surrender perhaps your right needs someone to go along to the auction and get down and dirty.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              With that plate, sell it to a Dr Who fan, or buy it for the plate alone, and a bunch of spares!
              I am afraid you are probably right.
              This is registered as a 1970 Triumph Vitesse in green
              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
              - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Does the back end have the look of a Moss Monaco?

Comment

Working...
                X