Overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating?

Since swapping my old Marina engine and gearbox for a replacement MGB pair, the temperature guage has gone up from 80-85 to 95-100. I am using the same guage, sensor and alternator (from the old engine) and the radiator and electric fan are as before. I have renewed the thermostat and the water pump but no change. What's going on? I am now wondering if the engine really is running hotter or if it's the indication that is wrong. So as well as any sugestions, can anybody tell me the resistance in ohms that the sensor should be at normal running temperature.

Re: Overheating?

Rob,
    Check that the sender is getting a good earth. If you have used any sealant around it when you put it in then this could be he cause. Attach a wire direct from the - battery to the outside casing of the sender and look at the gauge.
    Check engine timing, mixture and fuel octane. Was the engine new / recon? Is it setup for unleaded? have you tried flushing the system?
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Re: Overheating?

Thanks Jon. I think the sender earth may be it. I calibrated the resistance of my sender over the weekend and it seems my engine is running at the correct temperature - it is the gauge that is wrong. As the reading is now higher than it was, I think this indicates that the earth is 'better' than it was (?). So maybe the gauge was set up to compensate for a bad earth previously.
      Anyway, at least I now know that my engine is running at the correct temperature which is a relief.

Comment

Working...
      X