• Show
Clear All

• Tom Frame please contact me

Hi Tom, glad to hear you're now the owner of this chassis

Please email me, I may know of some parts which will be of use to you

Rgds Dave Cunnington Club Archivist
    Attached Files

Re: Tom Frame please contact me

Thanks Dave. I've pm'd you in the absence of any obvious email address. If anyone has Marina/Ital suspension, brakes and steering parts or any of the fibreglass panels I'd be very interested to hear from them. Although, to be quite frank, since I have a lot of MGB parts I was seriously contemplating converting the front end to a long travel coil-over MGB setup... but that's maybe not the easiest way to go. :-)

Comment

Welcome Tom
      Worth making friends over at the Marina Owners club and keeping an eye on eBay...lots of stuff there at the moment, including a set of Ital front uprights; several rear axles, diffs, halfshafts and a servo pedal box. Also, Facebook Marketplace - there is a guy in Dudley advertising a bunch of TC spares...looks like a complete set of running gear plus more from the pictures..!
      Link here
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Thanks. I've had a good look and tried contacting the guy in Dudley. I'm hoping to stick with the MGB transmission and rear axle, so somewhere along the way there will be hubs needing redrilled to match wheel pcd's front and rear, but sourcing the front suspension and steering would simplify matters a lot.

Comment

I seem to remember a roadster with MGB underpinnings it had the MGB front cross member somehow grafted onto the original Marlin chassis using the MGB suspension and axles. But no other details sorry.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by mogrange1 View Post
            Thanks. I've had a good look and tried contacting the guy in Dudley. I'm hoping to stick with the MGB transmission and rear axle, so somewhere along the way there will be hubs needing redrilled to match wheel pcd's front and rear, but sourcing the front suspension and steering would simplify matters a lot.
            With the amount of work you are proposing, I think I would be considering a recent power plant and transmission like an MX5 rather than an antiquated MGB that would require a great deal of work. Only the two engine mounts on the old chassis would be used, nothing else is ready made.

so if not a Mazda, a Zetec RWD?
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Sorry, if I forgot to say here, I certainly said it on another thread, I've got a nicely tweaked Ford CVH 1600 lined up for this build. Ideally, it'll be fitted with an adapter plate and still use the MG gearbox (complete with overdrive) but it may be that in the end I'll need to source a type-9. The CVH is comparatively light and compact. Indeed it's two and a bit inches shorter in length and nearly four inches less tall than the 'B', with an alloy head and it's respectably powerful too (on twin Weber 40s and fast road cam). Or at least I hope it is, we'll see once we get her on a rolling road but it was previously measured/calculated at a tad over 120 hp, at the flywheel, in its last car.

Comment

Hi Tom,

I've got:
                - a complete Marina pedal box with the shortened clutch pedal and master clutch and brake cylinders
                - Heater box from Marlin with fan and used the Marina heater matrix

I'm also on FaceBook.

avid

Comment

Originally posted by Waterscumbietoo View Post
                  Hi Tom,

I've got:
                  - a complete Marina pedal box with the shortened clutch pedal and master clutch and brake cylinders
                  - Heater box from Marlin with fan and used the Marina heater matrix

I'm also on FaceBook.

avid
                  Where abouts are you? ... I'm in South Central Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by mogrange1 View Post
                    Sorry, if I forgot to say here, I certainly said it on another thread, I've got a nicely tweaked Ford CVH 1600 lined up for this build. Ideally, it'll be fitted with an adapter plate and still use the MG gearbox (complete with overdrive) but it may be that in the end I'll need to source a type-9. The CVH is comparatively light and compact. Indeed it's two and a bit inches shorter in length and nearly four inches less tall than the 'B', with an alloy head and it's respectably powerful too (on twin Weber 40s and fast road cam). Or at least I hope it is, we'll see once we get her on a rolling road but it was previously measured/calculated at a tad over 120 hp, at the flywheel, in its last car.
                    I would go the CVH route, try to find a Dolomite sprint rear axle and depending on your skills remove the spring mounts and replace them with Marina leafs or modify the chassis to suit the Sprint suspension. The Marina axle has the same width and PCD.
                    inbetween put a TYPE 9 gearbox with 5th gear which is essentially an overdrive.

Front suspension is another can of worms. But despite the poor reputation of Marina handling, the weight distribution of a roadster is completely different. Whatever you end up with it will be a collection of compromises.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I've a perfectly good Salisbury axle off an MG at the moment. I'll be using it. The front end will likely be MG too, but not just a cut and shut crossmember graft. At the moment I intend to go to a long travel coilover setup and the MG wishbones (the standard lever arm top wishbone is fine), kingpins and hubs. That'll also give me MG wheel pcd's all round and bigger, 10.75" diameter, standard, MGB front brakes to match the 10" drums on the Salisbury back end. I'll also be running on at least the steel MGB 14" rims (may fit 15" alloys at point, the same as my MGB Gt)... The wheelbase and track will be virtually the same as the MGB's too. So, it should handle not too badly. Actually, having built a few rally and off-road cars in the past I'm not at all worried about the running gear issues... I feel much more challenged by finding/creating IVA compliant bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                      X