Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tom Frame please contact me

1. #1 Tom Frame please contact me 
    Hi Tom, glad to hear you're now the owner of this chassis

Please email me, I may know of some parts which will be of use to you

Rgds Dave Cunnington Club Archivist
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Tom Frame please contact me 
    club member Club Member
    Thanks Dave. I've pm'd you in the absence of any obvious email address. If anyone has Marina/Ital suspension, brakes and steering parts or any of the fibreglass panels I'd be very interested to hear from them. Although, to be quite frank, since I have a lot of MGB parts I was seriously contemplating converting the front end to a long travel coil-over MGB setup... but that's maybe not the easiest way to go. :-)

3. #3 Re: Tom Frame please contact me 
    club member Club Member lil_red_roadster's Avatar
    Welcome Tom
    Worth making friends over at the Marina Owners club and keeping an eye on eBay...lots of stuff there at the moment, including a set of Ital front uprights; several rear axles, diffs, halfshafts and a servo pedal box. Also, Facebook Marketplace - there is a guy in Dudley advertising a bunch of TC spares...looks like a complete set of running gear plus more from the pictures..!
    Link here
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

4. #4 Re: Tom Frame please contact me 
    club member Club Member
    Thanks. I've had a good look and tried contacting the guy in Dudley. I'm hoping to stick with the MGB transmission and rear axle, so somewhere along the way there will be hubs needing redrilled to match wheel pcd's front and rear, but sourcing the front suspension and steering would simplify matters a lot.

5. #5 Re: Tom Frame please contact me 
    club member Club Member b_caswell's Avatar
    I seem to remember a roadster with MGB underpinnings it had the MGB front cross member somehow grafted onto the original Marlin chassis using the MGB suspension and axles. But no other details sorry.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

6. #6 Re: Tom Frame please contact me 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrange1 View Post
    Thanks. I've had a good look and tried contacting the guy in Dudley. I'm hoping to stick with the MGB transmission and rear axle, so somewhere along the way there will be hubs needing redrilled to match wheel pcd's front and rear, but sourcing the front suspension and steering would simplify matters a lot.
    With the amount of work you are proposing, I think I would be considering a recent power plant and transmission like an MX5 rather than an antiquated MGB that would require a great deal of work. Only the two engine mounts on the old chassis would be used, nothing else is ready made.

so if not a Mazda, a Zetec RWD?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

7. #7 Re: Tom Frame please contact me 
    club member Club Member
    Sorry, if I forgot to say here, I certainly said it on another thread, I've got a nicely tweaked Ford CVH 1600 lined up for this build. Ideally, it'll be fitted with an adapter plate and still use the MG gearbox (complete with overdrive) but it may be that in the end I'll need to source a type-9. The CVH is comparatively light and compact. Indeed it's two and a bit inches shorter in length and nearly four inches less tall than the 'B', with an alloy head and it's respectably powerful too (on twin Weber 40s and fast road cam). Or at least I hope it is, we'll see once we get her on a rolling road but it was previously measured/calculated at a tad over 120 hp, at the flywheel, in its last car.

8. #8 Re: Tom Frame please contact me 
    club member Club Member
    Hi Tom,

I've got:
    - a complete Marina pedal box with the shortened clutch pedal and master clutch and brake cylinders
    - Heater box from Marlin with fan and used the Marina heater matrix

I'm also on FaceBook.

avid
    Up from the ashes grow the Roses of Success !

9. #9 Re: Tom Frame please contact me 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterscumbietoo View Post
    Hi Tom,

I've got:
    - a complete Marina pedal box with the shortened clutch pedal and master clutch and brake cylinders
    - Heater box from Marlin with fan and used the Marina heater matrix

I'm also on FaceBook.

avid
    Where abouts are you? ... I'm in South Central Scotland.

10. #10 Re: Tom Frame please contact me 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrange1 View Post
    Sorry, if I forgot to say here, I certainly said it on another thread, I've got a nicely tweaked Ford CVH 1600 lined up for this build. Ideally, it'll be fitted with an adapter plate and still use the MG gearbox (complete with overdrive) but it may be that in the end I'll need to source a type-9. The CVH is comparatively light and compact. Indeed it's two and a bit inches shorter in length and nearly four inches less tall than the 'B', with an alloy head and it's respectably powerful too (on twin Weber 40s and fast road cam). Or at least I hope it is, we'll see once we get her on a rolling road but it was previously measured/calculated at a tad over 120 hp, at the flywheel, in its last car.
    I would go the CVH route, try to find a Dolomite sprint rear axle and depending on your skills remove the spring mounts and replace them with Marina leafs or modify the chassis to suit the Sprint suspension. The Marina axle has the same width and PCD.
    inbetween put a TYPE 9 gearbox with 5th gear which is essentially an overdrive.

Front suspension is another can of worms. But despite the poor reputation of Marina handling, the weight distribution of a roadster is completely different. Whatever you end up with it will be a collection of compromises.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.