EPAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EPAS

I recently acquired a fine BMW powered Sportster from an existing club member. My partner who is rather petite would like to drive the car too but finds the steering a bit of a challenge. I have investigated various EPAS solutions to find one that incorporates a progressive option and now wish to further research the DC Electronics Microsteer product. They have provided details of other kit cars the system has been fitted to but weren't able to be specific about a Marlin Roadster. I'd be grateful for any views or comments on on the question of EPAS in general and DC Electronics in particular

Re: EPAS

I'm not familiar with the Microsteer product, but a few Cabrio owners experimented with electric power assist utilizing a Vauxhall Corsa unit incorporated into the Sierra steering column.
    From memory it was an 'only just' fit and while providing the required assistance for parking was way too sensitive at speed.
    On another note , I was surprised at the progress DS has made on his new build . It's in no doubt that it'll be another great example .
    Congratulations on your purchase and good luck

Comment

The Vauxhall Corsa electric power steering unit, when fitted in the Corsa, varies assistance according to speed. This unit on ebay allows you to vary the assistance manually.
      The corsa steering columns need 2 signals to operate, an engine signal and a vehicle speed signal. When modifying 4x4's eg fitting larger tyres, bigger lifts etc this can cause more strain on the standard components, which they were not designed for so more wear and tear / breakages can happen.
      Last edited by scott h; 15-10-20, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I am about to start an project using a Yaris column for my Cabrio/Hunter. This unit has a failsafe amount of assistance (40+%) I will add a signal to the VSS part of the ECU to get speed sensitive assistance too. Any help and advice greatly received

Comment

Having taken a look at the dimensional drawing for the Microsteer system, and taken the measurement from column to footwell sidewall on my Cabrio , I estimte a clearance of only 5mm for the Motor/gearbox. Maybe somewhat different on the Sportster but I doubt by much.
          Whilst accepting that the steering is moderately heavy at parking speed, what percentage of your driving does it equate too?.
          For me it's an complication I can do without but I readily accept that others may not.

Comment

[QUOTE= ........but a few Cabrio owners experimented with electric power assist utilizing a Vauxhall Corsa unit incorporated into the Sierra steering column.
            From memory it was an 'only just' fit and while providing the required assistance for parking was way too sensitive at speed.
            [/QUOTE]

I believe Lee Hunter fitted the Corsa EPAS into 3 Cabrios with great success - Alan’s recollection of it being over sensitive is I believe not related to the Corsa system but the hydraulic PAS fitted from Ford Cosworth that had to be removed due to its over sensitivity.
            Lee said it made the Cabrio much more fun to drive on a winding road at speed and was very stable at speed on the motorway. The assistance, when transplanted into a Marlin depends on the software used to make it work.
            The Corsa used two inputs (road speed and engine rpm) to generate three levels of steering assistance. This greatly improves slow speed parking, whilst giving moderate assistance to sub 30 mph bends yet little assistance at higher speeds.

Be careful of EBay advertised controllers which do not allow the assistance to be varied.

The Corsa conversion is not a plug and play solution and is a very tight fit in theCabrio footwell.

I would hope current cars have smaller EPAS columns than the Corsa unit?

Comment

Thanks for the correction Mike, you are quite right in that I had confused the hydraulic system [was that Bob Jackson who tried it?] with the Corsa electric .

Comment

I prepared a Corsa EPAS /Sierra hybrid to fit into my Cabrio post completion ( but haven’t found the time yet!).
                My aim was to make it as a direct replacement for my standard Sierra column to maintain all the electrical control switches.
                However this does require critical safety parts to be welded, so is not for most owners.
                I posted an article on it in my build diary page 59, below.

https://www.marlinownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?4589-Mike-s-Cabrio-Build&p=24540&highlight=Corsa+epas#post24540

Comment

Working...
                X