Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hi everyone
    My name is Pete and although I have been a member for a few weeks now I really didn’t have much to write until now. Many years ago I was the proud owner of a Robin Hood Kit car, along with a friend of mine who also had one we would go out most weekends and thoroughly enjoy it. Short version I had to sell due work commitments. Recently I purchased a Marlin Berlinetta which I got from an EBay seller. I had to travel 400 miles round trip and although the car looked nice I used a transporter to pick her up as not only did I not have insurance I did not trust the car to journey that far until fully checked out. I did take her for a test drive but a few miles is not like 200. Once I got her back I waited until I got all my papers in order and then came the day to take her out for a spin. I told my wife I would take her and fill her up at the garage we normally use on the way to work which was around 16 mile away so 32 miles round trip sounded good for the first time out. I reached the garage we a few coughs and splutters which I would remedy in time. I filled the car up and paid for my fuel on returning to my car a gent said Hey Mate you’ve got water coming out from the back of your car. To my horror it was fuel leaking all over the garage forecourt. I did not start the car for obvious reasons and the man helped me push it to a safe area while I called for recovery. I had it recovered to a friend’s garage who looked over her and told me of a few problems. New water pump, Alternator belt, Spark plugs and fuel filter. But nothing about the fuel leak as it had stopped. As I am not a mechanic my place is driving and not fixing I have a few questions for the knowledgeable ones out there. Is there an overflow pipe on the tank, I will take the tank off once I run the fuel down.
    I would like to no more about my car I managed to get an engine number from the side of the engine and I researched it to a Fiat 131 but I don’t know much more. I was told it was factory build in 1995 I have seen some Pictures of it on the picture board but would like to know more.
    I am looking forward once we are allowed to meet you all at some events. I live in Withernsea on the east Coast 16 mile outside Hull if anyone is close give me a shout.
    Frony View.jpgEngine No.jpgDriver Side View.jpg

Re: Hello

Hi Pete, and welcome to the Marlin world.

We do know of the car, so please email me direct as in Pitstop magazine and I can tell
    you more about it.

Rgds Dave Cunnington Club Archivist

Ps I'm in Gainsborough, so not too far away from you !

Comment

Hi Pete
      I had a Roadster which had this problem if one overfilled it. As the gauge didn't work, I would look under the car until I saw a drip of fuel and then know that the tank was full.
      Hope you enjoy the car.
      Liz

Comment

I'm still doing that

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
        Hi Pete
        I had a Roadster which had this problem if one overfilled it. As the gauge didn't work, I would look under the car until I saw a drip of fuel and then know that the tank was full.
        Hope you enjoy the car.
        Liz

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
          I'm still doing that
          Me too
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I have owned this Berly in the past so I know a bit about the car. There is a pipe fitted from the top of the tank and terminates lower than the bottom. My guess is either from there as over filled or tank rotted through on the top . I am on 07976836374 should you wish to know some of the history on your car Danny. or if you prefer to email [email protected]

Comment

Hi Pete and welcome. You've joined a friendly and knowledgeable club.

Like Liz, I brimmed my Roadster the 1st time at the Shell garage in Helensburgh on route to the Cardross Rally weekend (sadly missed and I must try and do something about that) only to find a large pool of petrol at the rear end. Still haven't fount where it came from but must be a breather for the alloy as Danny suggests. You've reminded me that I really need to look.

Best to all,

Scotty

Comment

Yes I remember that ! You were well full and it siphoned out of the overflow/breather pipe

Comment

Hello Peter and pleased to hear you have joined the Club. I bought a Hunter and after a few trips out I found as I was filling the tank with petrol there was a large pool flooding the garage forecourt. I found that on the filler pipe there was a breather which however much I altered the angle of the nozzle it still covered the floor. I was advised to put a one way valve in the breather pipe which cured my problem. Valve obtained I seem to remember from Car Solutions. David.

Comment

Hi Danny

Thanks for the info. I would like to know more about her. So when showing eventually I can have a small history board for people to read and know her history although its only 25 years. I need to sort her paintwork out though. She needs a good clean and I have made it worse by covering her and having the clip on the bonnet which has worn and scratched a big patch away through to the metal. There are a few body shops around Hull one in particular that shows a kit car they worked on, I don't know whether to change the colour or just get her re done in the same colour. My Email is [email protected] with what ever information you have. I cant wait until we can get back out and have a meet.

Comment

Working...
                    X