No announcement yet.

Can I change a Q plate to age related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I change a Q plate to age related?

Hi I am the custodian of a Marlin Roadster that was built by my dad. I have managed to evade the archivists thus far although I am in the process of compiling a dossier for their benefit.

I know at the time of registration my dad was keen to avoid being given a Q plate but that is what happened. I would now like to try and get it on age related plates. I realise there will be disadvantages to this as the emissions will be more than visual at the MoT. The advantage would be free road tax in the near future.

I have all the original build documentation and submissions to the DVLA summarising the source of all the components. The car was built using the running gear suspension and steering rack and loom from the Ital donor. I am sure this complies with the 2 major components and obviously it was built on a brand new chassis. This means it complies with the age related plate requirements shown on the government website (see image).

Does anyone have any direct experience of this? Is it achievable? If anyone has achieved this what was your method?

Q plate.JPG

Re: Can I change a Q plate to age related?

....and when you are ready the archivist will be delighted to hear from you on his home email

I will let others wiser than me answer your query.

DC

Comment

I'm assuming that the DVLA site is stating the situation for new builds and the consequent IVA test. I was led to believe once a 'Q' registration had been allocated there was no way back.

Comment

I seem to recall that some have managed to get it changed, but you have to have all of the documentation to hand to prove that it should have had an age related plate in the first place.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

As far as we know once a Q always a Q. Don't think you can put personal plates on either. However things may have changed over the years.

Comment

As far as I'm aware, no club member has yet succeeded in changing from a 'Q' plate to an age related one but I could be wrong. Its certainly worth a try and, if you manage it, please let us know how.

Comment

Thanks for the input folks. I have done as much research as I can. It is my intention now to write to the DVLA with my supporting information. I don’t think I will bother with progress reports on here. What I will do is report my conclusion and if successful, the steps taken to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by getafix View Post
                Thanks for the input folks. I have done as much research as I can. It is my intention now to write to the DVLA with my supporting information. I don’t think I will bother with progress reports on here. What I will do is report my conclusion and if successful, the steps taken to get there.
                if you have the V5 logbook for the donor car, you might have a lot more luck. Just having it’s registration number is not enough.
                MOC member since 05/97
                1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

The V5 for the donor was submited to the DVLA with the V627/1.

Comment

I hope you kept a copy. It all helps if there are problems.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

I do not wish to put a damper on this but I do not believe any one has ever managed to get a number changed from a Q I think what Andy is remembering is that some members managed to get their Marlins registered correctly to show Marlin on the V5 where before they were recorded as Morris, Ford or whatever. With age related your V5 will also show actual year of construction even though the reg number is an earlier year. As Liz says once a Q always a Q and cannot even be changed for personal plates.
                      I think that perhaps when your dad reg the car there may have be no option at that time to have age related. At that time you either got keeping the donor number or a Q as I remember. The age related option followed after this period, perhaps around SVA time. However there is always a first for everything so I wish you good luck.

Comment

My understanding has always been the same...i.e. once a Q always a Q...which has it's benefits come the MoT.
                        I know that back in the day the various regional DVLA offices (when such things existed) applied their own varying interpretations of the rules. In my case, Birmingham, they allocated a Q even though all major components were from the donor and the documentation was all there; whilst in other areas the original registration was carried over.
                        I still have copies of all the original documentation & submissions, plus the donor is still on the DVLA database, so I will be interested to see the outcome of this. I'm not really bothered about having a Q-plate , but if it could be changed without opening Pandora's box (IVA) then I'd certainly think about it.
                        Good luck & keep us posted..!
                        Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                        Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hi getafix

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm in a similar situation though I was the builder, not my dad!

It seems unfair that people who got age-relate plates back in the 80s are now running around as "historic" vehicles!

Andy

Q634HCP

Comment

Originally posted by AndyBeck View Post
                            Hi getafix

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm in a similar situation though I was the builder, not my dad!

It seems unfair that people who got age-relate plates back in the 80s are now running around as "historic" vehicles!

Andy

Q634HCP
                            Unfair is the default position for the DVLA.
                            I am in a long standing saga with them being pushed from pillar to post.
                            The challenge is finding one person that is willing to understand yiur problem, but then you get kicked off, have to explain the problem all over again, and it’s impossible to talk to the first person who understood the problem.

The problems get bigger every year as they demand back tax that was not yiur fault.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Hi, no. In the end I lost my enthusiasm and just left it.

Comment

Working...
                              X