Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I change a Q plate to age related?

1. #1 Can I change a Q plate to age related? 
    club member Club Member
    Hi I am the custodian of a Marlin Roadster that was built by my dad. I have managed to evade the archivists thus far although I am in the process of compiling a dossier for their benefit.

I know at the time of registration my dad was keen to avoid being given a Q plate but that is what happened. I would now like to try and get it on age related plates. I realise there will be disadvantages to this as the emissions will be more than visual at the MoT. The advantage would be free road tax in the near future.

I have all the original build documentation and submissions to the DVLA summarising the source of all the components. The car was built using the running gear suspension and steering rack and loom from the Ital donor. I am sure this complies with the 2 major components and obviously it was built on a brand new chassis. This means it complies with the age related plate requirements shown on the government website (see image).

Does anyone have any direct experience of this? Is it achievable? If anyone has achieved this what was your method?

Q plate.JPG

2. #2 Re: Can I change a Q plate to age related? 
    ....and when you are ready the archivist will be delighted to hear from you on his home email

I will let others wiser than me answer your query.

DC

3. #3 Re: Can I change a Q plate to age related? 
    Moderator Club Member
    I'm assuming that the DVLA site is stating the situation for new builds and the consequent IVA test. I was led to believe once a 'Q' registration had been allocated there was no way back.

4. #4 Re: Can I change a Q plate to age related? 
    I seem to recall that some have managed to get it changed, but you have to have all of the documentation to hand to prove that it should have had an age related plate in the first place.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

5. #5 Re: Can I change a Q plate to age related? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    As far as we know once a Q always a Q. Don't think you can put personal plates on either. However things may have changed over the years.

6. #6 Re: Can I change a Q plate to age related? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    As far as I'm aware, no club member has yet succeeded in changing from a 'Q' plate to an age related one but I could be wrong. Its certainly worth a try and, if you manage it, please let us know how.

7. #7 Re: Can I change a Q plate to age related? 
    club member Club Member
    Thanks for the input folks. I have done as much research as I can. It is my intention now to write to the DVLA with my supporting information. I don’t think I will bother with progress reports on here. What I will do is report my conclusion and if successful, the steps taken to get there.

8. #8 Re: Can I change a Q plate to age related? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by getafix View Post
    Thanks for the input folks. I have done as much research as I can. It is my intention now to write to the DVLA with my supporting information. I don’t think I will bother with progress reports on here. What I will do is report my conclusion and if successful, the steps taken to get there.
    if you have the V5 logbook for the donor car, you might have a lot more luck. Just having it’s registration number is not enough.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

9. #9 Re: Can I change a Q plate to age related? 
    club member Club Member
    The V5 for the donor was submited to the DVLA with the V627/1.

10. #10 Re: Can I change a Q plate to age related? 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    I hope you kept a copy. It all helps if there are problems.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.