Which Marlins did Moorhouse design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Marlins did Moorhouse design

As title, I'm trying to establish, for my own education, just which of the many Marlin designs did Paul Moorhouse come up with?

I already know a bit about the Triumph based Roadster and the MKii that was Marina/Ital version and I've also read there was a Triumph/Marina hybrid, but what about the L.W.B. Roadster and subsequent variants?

I'm asking because I have acquired what is clearly a MKii Roadster Chassis and in the search for parts to complete that build I'm also now at the stage of acquiring a L.W.B. Roadster and it looks like a simple adaptation of the original MKii, but who actually designed it?

I seem to have caught the Marlin bug :-D

Re: Which Marlins did Moorhouse design

Believe Paul was responsible for all the Roadster variants with the exception of the YKC sierra based cars which were down to Steve Himsworth and Clive Gamble's adaptation of the original. Paul also designed the Berlinetta and Cabrio which went on to form the basis for the Sportster.
    Hope I've got that right , but if not someone else will no doubt chip in with correct info.

Comment

The main website has a Marlin history...at the start of the page are details about the pending sale of Marlin Sportscars
      but scroll down..any more questions please email me

Rgds DC

Comment

There's a very good history in Pitstops 215 and 216 .

Adrian

Originally posted by mogrange1 View Post
        As title, I'm trying to establish, for my own education, just which of the many Marlin designs did Paul Moorhouse come up with?

I already know a bit about the Triumph based Roadster and the MKii that was Marina/Ital version and I've also read there was a Triumph/Marina hybrid, but what about the L.W.B. Roadster and subsequent variants?

I'm asking because I have acquired what is clearly a MKii Roadster Chassis and in the search for parts to complete that build I'm also now at the stage of acquiring a L.W.B. Roadster and it looks like a simple adaptation of the original MKii, but who actually designed it?

I seem to have caught the Marlin bug :-D

Comment

Paul hangs out on the Marlin Kit Cars Facebook page and is happy to answer the odd question, if he remembers the answer that is!
          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
            The main website has a Marlin history...at the start of the page are details about the pending sale of Marlin Sportscars
            but scroll down..any more questions please email me

Rgds DC
            Yes I read that, thanks, but as I say; it's clear that Paul Moorhouse designed the early Triumph based kit and subsequent hybrid and Marina/Ital based kits, but the trail goes a bit vague thereafter with subsequent designs not clearly attributed.

Eg; we get to...

"Of those who had bought Roadsters originally, some now wanted more room for offspring and partners who also wanted to enjoy the fun of the Marlin. In 1984 the Ford Cortina (and later, Sierra) based Berlinetta was launched."

but no designer is named.

I'll now go and see what I can glean from Pitstops 215 and 216.

Comment

When I met Paul the first time in late 1987 to drive the Berlinetta demonstrator he told me that the Berli was similar to the Roadster, just about 10% bigger dimensionally. He was still running the company when the Sierra based car was launched (new for 1989, as I recall from the publicity) and thereafter came the Cabrio, of which I remember his saying on another occasion, that he had designed it to address all the "Pains" of kit cars like multiple keys and parts from multiple donors...and also to enable the fitting of a V8 engine (which apparently was a very common customer request at the time ...I wonder why??)
              So in answer to your question, Paul Moorhouse designed them all....ie the Triumph based Roadster, the Marina based roadster, the hybrid Triumph / Marina based cars, the later Ital based roadster and both Cortina and Sierra based Berlinettas. Steve Himsworth et al at YKC were responsible for the Sierra based roadsters who also reworked the design of the Sierra based Berlinetta, although I don't know if any examples of his redesign were actually built. The Sportster I believe was developed from the Cabrio by the Matthews after they bought the company from Paul Moorhouse.

Comment

That's brilliant Bill, just what I was hoping for when I asked the question. Thanks!

Comment

Can we add Bill’s detail to the Marlin History page?
                  - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                  - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                  - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

If you feel it necessary I can do a rewrite and get Mark to upload it

I'm currently going one at a time through ALL the gallery pictures (off line) to achieve
                    similarity of size and a general sort out/tidy up, so give me a while to get it done

DC

Comment

OK the new "History" is finished and uploaded, many thanks to webmaster Mark.

It has been read and approved by a number of long standing club and committee members.

DC

Comment

Good work DC, and helpers, a really good read.

Comment

Gets my vote.

Adrian

Comment

Working...
                          X