Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering rack bush

Hi Guys

The Marina steering rack on my kit had the usual worn bush clonk - not going to pass its WOF

I have taken the old bush out - its a steel case with a plastic bearing bit
    unfortunately no longer completely round so difficult to measure the OD

SO
    Ideally I would buy a new bush
    But that looks to be unlikely
    So I will get one machined

The ID will be to suit the rack
    The OD is the question - it appears to be 1.20 inches

Anybody know what the OD should be??

The hole it goes into is a pain as it has three slots machined in it 120 degrees apart making measuring the diameter a bit more difficult

Can anybody help
    Please

Re: Steering rack bush

'Search' at the top right of this page. There shuld be enough answers to keep you busy. IIRC 'Steve Green' has lots of useful information. They are available. Good luck.

Comment

I remember someone from the Marina community can provide replacement bushes.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by HairyDave View Post
        'Search' at the top right of this page. There shuld be enough answers to keep you busy. IIRC 'Steve Green' has lots of useful information. They are available. Good luck.
        Absolutely. Information is on Keepandshare. The bushes were first sourced by a Marina owners club member from a supplier in Australia. Expensive because of the postage.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan View Post
          Hi Guys

The Marina steering rack on my kit had the usual worn bush clonk - not going to pass its WOF

I have taken the old bush out - its a steel case with a plastic bearing bit
          unfortunately no longer completely round so difficult to measure the OD

SO
          Ideally I would buy a new bush
          But that looks to be unlikely
          So I will get one machined

The ID will be to suit the rack
          The OD is the question - it appears to be 1.20 inches

Anybody know what the OD should be??

The hole it goes into is a pain as it has three slots machined in it 120 degrees apart making measuring the diameter a bit more difficult

Can anybody help
          Please
          The slots are quite important to allow lubrication to reach the ball joints at the end of the rack.

Did you not see my PM about access to Keepandshare? Your message was a bit garbled, log into Keepandshare using your username and password and access the few documents that are publicly shared, I will see your username pop up and I can then give you full access.
          the solution is very much in your hands.

If you do not log in with your username and password, all I see is a Public Visitor, not a named individual.
          Last edited by stevejgreen; 29-10-20, 01:20 PM.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Just a quick aside. There seems to be lots of posts about the Marina steering rack. Is it particularly troublesome?
            Cheers Robin
            Last edited by martinclan56; 29-10-20, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
              Just a quick aside. There seems to be lots of posts about the Marina steering rack. Is it particularly troublesome?
              Cheers Robin
              Not particularly problematic.
              it stems from two different racks, a mk1 and a Mk2 that are pretty near identical apart from mounting.
              the bush is a wearing part, the problem is that many rack refurbisher simply ignore it. Of the several That I personally contacted, none seemed aware of its presence nor could they supply it.

There are several docs on Keepandshare that detail the necessary info. Follow the link in my forum signature below.
              Its free despite random claims.
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
              X