Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Hard top wanted

1. #21 Re: Hard top wanted 
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggiesworld View Post
    I suppose the most difficult step would be to get a design that pleases everyone. The couple of examples I've seen on this thread to date wouldn't get me hurrying to get my cheque book. Its a case of getting one that looks as good on the Cabrio as the hard top looks on the Berlinetta.
    I second that, the blue Berli I posted a pic of above looks great. I think the Cabrio hard tops pictured are too square.
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

2. #22 Re: Hard top wanted 
    Found another hard topped Cabrio in the gallery whilst looking at fuel caps.

https://www.marlinownersclub.com/wpp...&image_id=2430
    Attached Images
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

3. #23 Re: Hard top wanted 
    That was Victor Shadforths S918... I understand that he built the Targa Top.

It's now on Dave Kitsons E948...

This 2014 pic is in the Gallery
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dcunn; 10-11-2020 at 09:13 PM.

4. #24 Re: Hard top wanted 
    Moderator Club Member
    Not wishing to put a damper on this , but who would own the mould supposing enough parties were interested? Cost of having said hardtop painted /trimmed/heated rear window etc seemingly hasn't been taken into account. It's not going to be a couple of hundred quid I'm afraid.

5. #25 Re: Hard top wanted 
    club member Club Member
    My earlier suggestions regarding costs etc still stand as I anticipated a unit cost for a bare GRP hard top with fittings ready for individuals to go their own way with regarding finishing: I would probaly have mine covered in Vinyl. to complement the colour of the body. A heated rear window would (perhaps) have to be custom made, which would indeed add hugely to the cost, but I'm not sure I would bother...I have excellent door mirrors. As to ownership of the mould, the Club does not (as far as I know) have premises for storing one...so I had assumed that the creator / manufacturer would retain ownership. I wonder what the Matthews did with the original SWB Cabrio hard top mould ?

6. #26 Re: Hard top wanted 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    On a slight tangent, I had an LWB Roadster hardtop made from a mould which has been mentioned on the forum. I have an SWB Roadster and spent a while looking at it trying to think how to shorten it. I got epoxy resin and some bias fiberglass cloth. I cut out a slice just behind the screen and taped the two edges together, simples? NO No No!! Making edges meet not simples. but we are on the way. Shame I was too busy to take photos. I'll try tomorrow. I passed on the mould but it was a complicated bit of kit with lots of bits and would have been expensive to make. As has been said, the Berli hardtop looks great but designing one for a Cabrio will not be easy.

7. #27 Re: Hard top wanted 
    club member
    A chap on the Marlin Facebook page claims to have a Hunter hardtop mould!!