• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard top wanted

Wanted
    Hardtop for cabrio

Re: Hard top wanted

I only know of 2 built. These were built by owners.

Comment

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
      I only know of 2 built. These were built by owners.
      As Liz eludes to, no hardtop option with the Cabrio from the factory. I wonder if either of the home builds ere left with fibreglass moulds or templates/drawings of any sort?
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
        As Liz eludes to, no hardtop option with the Cabrio from the factory. I wonder if either of the home builds ere left with fibreglass moulds or templates/drawings of any sort?
        Yes, I too wonder how many Cabrio owners would be interested in a hard top? I know I would. Now whether or not I'd be prepared to go through the pain of making my own is another topic.
        2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Marlin did produce a factory hard top This was supplied with a heated rear window. Quite a high leading edge ( higher than the top of the screen surround to give some head height. This was dropped after just a few sold.

Comment

I think there would be quite a few cabrio owners that would be interested in a hard top especially eith the British weather getting worse every year. I myself wouldn't go through the headache of making my own.

Comment

knowing how the soft top is fitted on a Cabrio and its posittion when folded I imagine that total removal would have been necessary in order to fit a hardtop .Probably one of the reasons it wasn't a sales success and wouldn't be again given the usage most of them get .

Comment

Originally posted by danny_nelson View Post
                Marlin did produce a factory hard top This was supplied with a heated rear window. Quite a high leading edge ( higher than the top of the screen surround to give some head height. This was dropped after just a few sold.
                ‘Every day’s a school day...’
                - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
                - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
                - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Hi Alan, Spot on, similar to a Berlinetta. Quite a large thing to store when removed from the car. bolted at the tail end, and centre over clips at the front to pick up the hood fixing clips already on the screen frame for the soft top cant rail. I do not know how many were made by Marlin, I had one and I know where that went. Speaking to Mark Matthews one time the subject came up and his reply was ( That they completely spoilt the look of the car and he was having no more of those b----y things made) I know there are some who prefer a hard top for there own reasons, but it really has to suit the car and look right as well as easy entry and exit from the car. I personally think the Berlinetta looks much better with a hard top fitted, but I could not say the same for the factory made Cabrio hard top.

Comment

I would concur with Danny's view regarding the Marlin Supplied Berlinetta hard top that it improves the look of the car...and would add that several of the few Cabrio hard tops I've seen fitted were less than complimentary to the overall appearance of the car...but nevertheless, a hardtop would be an option many of we Cabrio owners would consider. There are moulding experts out there and a Berli hard top might make a good starting point. How many orders would we need in order to persuade a manufacturer to undertake a re-design and then carry out a production run?
                    Mine's a LWB Cabrio, so that's what I'd want...anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by billjackson54 View Post
                      I would concur with Danny's view regarding the Marlin Supplied Berlinetta hard top that it improves the look of the car...and would add that several of the few Cabrio hard tops I've seen fitted were less than complimentary to the overall appearance of the car...but nevertheless, a hardtop would be an option many of we Cabrio owners would consider. There are moulding experts out there and a Berli hard top might make a good starting point. How many orders would we need in order to persuade a manufacturer to undertake a re-design and then carry out a production run?
                      Mine's a LWB Cabrio, so that's what I'd want...anyone else?
                      I'd be interested in seeing what price would be quoted. I'm of the opinion that if its well designed it could be of interest, certainly add the benefit for winter/autumn driving.

Funny how beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I've always thought the tall, curve at the top windscreen of a Berly just looked like an afterthought and not very complimentary to the rest of the car. There you go, I've said, I've no doubt seriously shortened my Christmas card list...
                      2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

Comment

Funny how we all think differently, When I purchased my Cabrio from Danny it had a hard top fitted, Never thought I wanted one and by the time I'd driven back from his place to Somerset I knew it was coming off and would never go back on in my ownership! The next day it was off and replaced by the included rag top and a sale agreed to a fellow Cabrio owner. Each to their own and hopefully those who want one can get it sorted
                        Stapley Bryan

Comment

I've recently been looking at hard top Berli's. The main reasons being I wanted something more practical for longer runs than a 'roadster' and I suffer quite badly from hay fever so a roofless car has never been the best for me, one reason you don't see me at anything other than local to me shows. I can do short trip OK.

I was thinking about buying the dark blue Beli for sale in Germany but he wants £11-12k for it. Pic here, looks like a good car.

I'll probably end up with a Cabrio so hard top maybe on the list.
                          Attached Files

Comment

OK, I've been looking for Cabrio hard top pictures and found these two - assuming these are the Marlin ones
                            I can see why Mark M made his comment !

Brian N, I think the dk red one was you car

David B, good to see you now have a Cabrio, and ref your earlier comment elsewhere about the site's history
                            document, I'm on it

Stay safe everyone Rgds DC
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                              I've recently been looking at hard top Berli's. The main reasons being I wanted something more practical for longer runs than a 'roadster' and I suffer quite badly from hay fever so a roofless car has never been the best for me, one reason you don't see me at anything other than local to me shows. I can do short trip OK.

I was thinking about buying the dark blue Beli for sale in Germany but he wants £11-12k for it. Pic here, looks like a good car.

I'll probably end up with a Cabrio so hard top maybe on the list.
                              Actually a hard top may not be much better unless you make sure you install a pollen filter into your ventilation system.

Alternately stick with a Cabrio soft top and invest in some beconase...... sorts me out for the summer and I really suffer with hayfever.

Comment

Working...
                              X