Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hard top wanted

1. #11 Re: Hard top wanted 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billjackson54 View Post
    I would concur with Danny's view regarding the Marlin Supplied Berlinetta hard top that it improves the look of the car...and would add that several of the few Cabrio hard tops I've seen fitted were less than complimentary to the overall appearance of the car...but nevertheless, a hardtop would be an option many of we Cabrio owners would consider. There are moulding experts out there and a Berli hard top might make a good starting point. How many orders would we need in order to persuade a manufacturer to undertake a re-design and then carry out a production run?
    Mine's a LWB Cabrio, so that's what I'd want...anyone else?
    I'd be interested in seeing what price would be quoted. I'm of the opinion that if its well designed it could be of interest, certainly add the benefit for winter/autumn driving.

Funny how beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I've always thought the tall, curve at the top windscreen of a Berly just looked like an afterthought and not very complimentary to the rest of the car. There you go, I've said, I've no doubt seriously shortened my Christmas card list...
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

2. #12 Re: Hard top wanted 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member bryannewell's Avatar
    Funny how we all think differently, When I purchased my Cabrio from Danny it had a hard top fitted, Never thought I wanted one and by the time I'd driven back from his place to Somerset I knew it was coming off and would never go back on in my ownership! The next day it was off and replaced by the included rag top and a sale agreed to a fellow Cabrio owner. Each to their own and hopefully those who want one can get it sorted
    Stapley Bryan

3. #13 Re: Hard top wanted 
    I've recently been looking at hard top Berli's. The main reasons being I wanted something more practical for longer runs than a 'roadster' and I suffer quite badly from hay fever so a roofless car has never been the best for me, one reason you don't see me at anything other than local to me shows. I can do short trip OK.

I was thinking about buying the dark blue Beli for sale in Germany but he wants £11-12k for it. Pic here, looks like a good car.

I'll probably end up with a Cabrio so hard top maybe on the list.
    Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 15.jpg (518.7 KB, 124 views)
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

4. #14 Re: Hard top wanted 
    OK, I've been looking for Cabrio hard top pictures and found these two - assuming these are the Marlin ones
    I can see why Mark M made his comment !

Brian N, I think the dk red one was you car

David B, good to see you now have a Cabrio, and ref your earlier comment elsewhere about the site's history
    document, I'm on it

Stay safe everyone Rgds DC
    Attached Images

5. #15 Re: Hard top wanted 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I've recently been looking at hard top Berli's. The main reasons being I wanted something more practical for longer runs than a 'roadster' and I suffer quite badly from hay fever so a roofless car has never been the best for me, one reason you don't see me at anything other than local to me shows. I can do short trip OK.

I was thinking about buying the dark blue Beli for sale in Germany but he wants £11-12k for it. Pic here, looks like a good car.

I'll probably end up with a Cabrio so hard top maybe on the list.
    Actually a hard top may not be much better unless you make sure you install a pollen filter into your ventilation system.

Alternately stick with a Cabrio soft top and invest in some beconase...... sorts me out for the summer and I really suffer with hayfever.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

6. #16 Re: Hard top wanted 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcunn View Post
    OK, I've been looking for Cabrio hard top pictures and found these two - assuming these are the Marlin ones

David B, good to see you now have a Cabrio, and ref your earlier comment elsewhere about the site's history
    document, I'm on it

Yes, those two examples are a bit challenging from the aesthetic perspective I'll admit. Looks like I'll have to get my crayons out and see what I can come up with........

7. #17 Re: Hard top wanted 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member bryannewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcunn View Post

document, I'm on it

Hi DC yup that is the one, You've just reminded me how ugly it was! Not sure who made it but it sure didnt belong on my car IMO, I hope the new owner liked it better than me
    Stapley Bryan

8. #18 Re: Hard top wanted 
    club member Club Member
    This is the reply I received to my enquiry from a reputable GRP expert: The easiest and cheapest way (to make me a hard topfor my Cabrio ) would be to make you a hard top by modifying the SWB one, as a one off.

To make a mould and to cost it I’d ideally need to see what is involved regarding return edges and other undercuts requiring a multi piece mould. To make a durable mould with moulding gel coat and resin the cost could be anywhere around two to three thousand pounds.

It is often underestimate how much time and materials are required to make a good set of moulds, one offs generally are a great deal cheaper.

At 3k to make a mould, if 20 LWB Cabrio owners were keen, the development cost would come down to £150 each....and I imagine (wild guess really) the actual usable hardtop would cost another £200 on top....so for £400-£500 we could each have a hardtop for our car. For myself, at that price I'm keen...and I'm certainly interested in a SWB hard-top to modify if there are insufficient numbers of LWB owners to justify making one from scratch.
    Comments, please!
    Bill

9. #19 Re: Hard top wanted 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    For what it is worth I can confirm that the hard top on Bryans Cabrio was produced by Marlin

10. #20 Re: Hard top wanted 
    club member Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billjackson54 View Post
    This is the reply I received to my enquiry from a reputable GRP expert: The easiest and cheapest way (to make me a hard topfor my Cabrio ) would be to make you a hard top by modifying the SWB one, as a one off.

To make a mould and to cost it I’d ideally need to see what is involved regarding return edges and other undercuts requiring a multi piece mould. To make a durable mould with moulding gel coat and resin the cost could be anywhere around two to three thousand pounds.

It is often underestimate how much time and materials are required to make a good set of moulds, one offs generally are a great deal cheaper.

At 3k to make a mould, if 20 LWB Cabrio owners were keen, the development cost would come down to £150 each....and I imagine (wild guess really) the actual usable hardtop would cost another £200 on top....so for £400-£500 we could each have a hardtop for our car. For myself, at that price I'm keen...and I'm certainly interested in a SWB hard-top to modify if there are insufficient numbers of LWB owners to justify making one from scratch.
    Comments, please!
    Bill
    I suppose the most difficult step would be to get a design that pleases everyone. The couple of examples I've seen on this thread to date wouldn't get me hurrying to get my cheque book. Its a case of getting one that looks as good on the Cabrio as the hard top looks on the Berlinetta.