Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steering Wheel Alignment

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
    Should warn you, I found the hole is not central and put my steering half a turn more in one direction than other. I counted the turns and halved it and put the wheel on there then adjusted the track rod ends to get the wheels pointing in the right direction.
    Not directly related but somewhere on this forum is the story of someone searching for longer tie Rod ball joints to balance out the centre of fis rack or some suchlike. It turned out, unknown to him that his steering upright on one side had twisted possibly due to accident damage. I would by far prefer that both tie rods should have similar thread engagement, than the rack being centred on a simple hole especially as one end of the steering rack is not adjustable due to its mounting design.
    My opinion is that the hole might help when building a rack, but serves no further help on installation.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
      Not directly related but somewhere on this forum is the story of someone searching for longer tie Rod ball joints to balance out the centre of fis rack or some suchlike. It turned out, unknown to him that his steering upright on one side had twisted possibly due to accident damage. I would by far prefer that both tie rods should have similar thread engagement, than the rack being centred on a simple hole especially as one end of the steering rack is not adjustable due to its mounting design.
      My opinion is that the hole might help when building a rack, but serves no further help on installation.
      I'm not so sure, I lined mine up that way and never had to adjust it since. Obviously it's worth noting if there is any difference side to side.
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

the part that gets ignored the most is the UJ at the very end of the column meets the steering rack. Ignored and exposed to the elements. A few drops of penetrating oil will help, but don’t turn it into a dirt magnet by using grease.. There is a standard boot that can be used to protect it, but I can’t find the part number.

The one I fitted came from a Toyota MR2 if I remember rightly
        Sorry, but I have a supplementary question... That UJ at the rack... I'm trying to buy a new one but can't find a supplier of Marina parts. Does anyone know who might supply it? ... Or, are there alternatives available used on other makes/models? Any helpful advice much appreciated. ~ Tom

Comment

Part number is FAM1718 used generally on many different vehicles.

for parts lists and more for a Marina, follow the link and instructions in my forum signature below. The page you will need is https://kvisit.com/Sh9a-Aw

You will need to register with Keepandshare to view it.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Thanks. I am registered at keep and share but I've not figured out how to get to your pages. Besides, I also went on the Marlin Owners facebook page and got a recommendation for Car Builder Solutions ... and bought the last forged UJ they had in stock. Phew!

Comment

Found this which may have a bearing on this.

160519318217219121751.jpg

And this caution
              1605193558112963459319.jpg

Adrian

Originally posted by andyf View Post
              I'm not so sure, I lined mine up that way and never had to adjust it since. Obviously it's worth noting if there is any difference side to side.
              Last edited by listerjp2; 12-11-20, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I checked my steering last night. With the steering straight ahead it is about half a hole out on the rack.

Lock to lock is about 1/3rd turn out one way, so not too bad.

I've also ordered a 13" blue and black Mountney steering wheel to bling things up a little more..... now to sell off the 12" one.....
                Last edited by nightsurfer; 12-11-20, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by h_m_cumming View Post
                  Should warn you, I found the hole is not central and put my steering half a turn more in one direction than other. I counted the turns and halved it and put the wheel on there then adjusted the track rod ends to get the wheels pointing in the right direction.
                  Please be careful with this approach Hugh. It is well documented that the older cars like ours had a greater lock on the left turn than on the right turn. Triumphs especially and I think the marina steering rack is based on Triumph. I originally did what you suggest and spent ages getting it spot on as I was suffering from bump steer. Then discovered that i had to wind the right hand track rod end out too far to get the wheel straight which left very little thread still in tact. I then looked at the centre point alignment hole which was way off. So centred the rack using the hole and now have exactly the same number of thread turns on the track rod ends for both sides.
                  Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                  - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
                    Please be careful with this approach Hugh. It is well documented that the older cars like ours had a greater lock on the left turn than on the right turn. Triumphs especially and I think the marina steering rack is based on Triumph. I originally did what you suggest and spent ages getting it spot on as I was suffering from bump steer. Then discovered that i had to wind the right hand track rod end out too far to get the wheel straight which left very little thread still in tact. I then looked at the centre point alignment hole which was way off. So centred the rack using the hole and now have exactly the same number of thread turns on the track rod ends for both sides.
                    I have to agree. Focusing on a hole that at best is intended for centring the rack during assembly, but quite possibly is only an oil fill hole, misses out on the significance of track rod end thread engagement and the more significant issue of wheel alignment.
                    As with many things start from the outside first, not the inside.
                    MOC member since 05/97

Comment

I have to agree. Focusing on a hole that at best is intended for centring the rack during assembly, but quite possibly is only an oil fill hole, misses out on the significance of track rod end thread engagement and the more significant issue of wheel alignment.
                      As with many things start from the outside first, not the inside.
                      Hi Steve
                      In post #21 by Adrian the Marina workshop manual clearly states that the hole is for centralising the rack for "refitting to the car" and centralising the steering system to the car. Although I believe in checking and double checking these things against safety and quality, taking into account variations that creep in due to many years of fettling(fiddling), the manual is the usually the correct starting point. It certainly proved to be correct for my specific installation.
                      Jon
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post
                        Hi Steve
                        In post #21 by Adrian the Marina workshop manual clearly states that the hole is for centralising the rack for "refitting to the car" and centralising the steering system to the car. Although I believe in checking and double checking these things against safety and quality, taking into account variations that creep in due to many years of fettling(fiddling), the manual is the usually the correct starting point. It certainly proved to be correct for my specific installation.
                        Jon
                        i fail to see how the rack can be centred when it’s position is dictated by the construction of the rack, and it’s flanges where the rack body is secured by its saddles. The position of the rack is non adjustable!
                        MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Surely the reference by the manual refers to the 'rack' being centred relative to the rack body, and nothing else. That's always been my interpretation and it's worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
                            Surely the reference by the manual refers to the 'rack' being centred relative to the rack body, and nothing else. That's always been my interpretation and it's worked for me.
                            That’s pretty much my interpretation, it’s a rack assembly aid, not a rack installation guide. The latter is defined by its flanges not by a relatively tiny hole.
                            MOC member since 05/97

Comment

i fail to see how the rack can be centered when it’s position is dictated by the construction of the rack, and it’s flanges where the rack body is secured by its saddles. The position of the rack is non adjustable!
                              It's about centering the rack within the body rather than the body within the car. The rack being the geared bar and the body the cylinder that it's mounted in. So step one is the fit the body to the car via the mounts which fixes its location in the car. Step two is then to center the rack within the body. Then the track rods ends can be fitted and adjusted to get the wheels pointing straight ahead and the steering wheel fitted in the straight ahead position as well
                              Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I did say 'it may'.

Adrian

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                                It's about centering the rack within the body rather than the body within the car. The rack being the geared bar and the body the cylinder that it's mounted in. So step one is the fit the body to the car via the mounts which fixes its location in the car. Step two is then to center the rack within the body. Then the track rods ends can be fitted and adjusted to get the wheels pointing straight ahead and the steering wheel fitted in the straight ahead position as well

Comment

Working...
                                X