Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel Alignment

1. #21 Re: Steering Wheel Alignment 
    club member Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    Found this which may have a bearing on this.

160519318217219121751.jpg

And this caution
    1605193558112963459319.jpg

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    I'm not so sure, I lined mine up that way and never had to adjust it since. Obviously it's worth noting if there is any difference side to side.
    Last edited by listerjp2; 12-11-2020 at 03:06 PM.

2. #22 Re: Steering Wheel Alignment 
    Club Member
    I checked my steering last night. With the steering straight ahead it is about half a hole out on the rack.

Lock to lock is about 1/3rd turn out one way, so not too bad.

I've also ordered a 13" blue and black Mountney steering wheel to bling things up a little more..... now to sell off the 12" one.....
    Last edited by nightsurfer; 12-11-2020 at 09:21 PM.

3. #23 Re: Steering Wheel Alignment 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member jon_cox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by h_m_cumming View Post
    Should warn you, I found the hole is not central and put my steering half a turn more in one direction than other. I counted the turns and halved it and put the wheel on there then adjusted the track rod ends to get the wheels pointing in the right direction.
    Please be careful with this approach Hugh. It is well documented that the older cars like ours had a greater lock on the left turn than on the right turn. Triumphs especially and I think the marina steering rack is based on Triumph. I originally did what you suggest and spent ages getting it spot on as I was suffering from bump steer. Then discovered that i had to wind the right hand track rod end out too far to get the wheel straight which left very little thread still in tact. I then looked at the centre point alignment hole which was way off. So centred the rack using the hole and now have exactly the same number of thread turns on the track rod ends for both sides.

4. #24 Re: Steering Wheel Alignment 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_cox View Post
    Please be careful with this approach Hugh. It is well documented that the older cars like ours had a greater lock on the left turn than on the right turn. Triumphs especially and I think the marina steering rack is based on Triumph. I originally did what you suggest and spent ages getting it spot on as I was suffering from bump steer. Then discovered that i had to wind the right hand track rod end out too far to get the wheel straight which left very little thread still in tact. I then looked at the centre point alignment hole which was way off. So centred the rack using the hole and now have exactly the same number of thread turns on the track rod ends for both sides.
    I have to agree. Focusing on a hole that at best is intended for centring the rack during assembly, but quite possibly is only an oil fill hole, misses out on the significance of track rod end thread engagement and the more significant issue of wheel alignment.
    As with many things start from the outside first, not the inside.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

5. #25 Re: Steering Wheel Alignment 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member jon_cox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevejgreen View Post
    I have to agree. Focusing on a hole that at best is intended for centring the rack during assembly, but quite possibly is only an oil fill hole, misses out on the significance of track rod end thread engagement and the more significant issue of wheel alignment.
    As with many things start from the outside first, not the inside.
    Hi Steve
    In post #21 by Adrian the Marina workshop manual clearly states that the hole is for centralising the rack for "refitting to the car" and centralising the steering system to the car. Although I believe in checking and double checking these things against safety and quality, taking into account variations that creep in due to many years of fettling(fiddling), the manual is the usually the correct starting point. It certainly proved to be correct for my specific installation.
    Jon

6. #26 Re: Steering Wheel Alignment 
    Quote Originally Posted by jon_cox View Post
    Hi Steve
    In post #21 by Adrian the Marina workshop manual clearly states that the hole is for centralising the rack for "refitting to the car" and centralising the steering system to the car. Although I believe in checking and double checking these things against safety and quality, taking into account variations that creep in due to many years of fettling(fiddling), the manual is the usually the correct starting point. It certainly proved to be correct for my specific installation.
    Jon
    i fail to see how the rack can be centred when it’s position is dictated by the construction of the rack, and it’s flanges where the rack body is secured by its saddles. The position of the rack is non adjustable!
    MOC member since 05/97
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

7. #27 Re: Steering Wheel Alignment 
    Moderator Club Member
    Surely the reference by the manual refers to the 'rack' being centred relative to the rack body, and nothing else. That's always been my interpretation and it's worked for me.

8. #28 Re: Steering Wheel Alignment 
    Quote Originally Posted by dogoncrazy View Post
    Surely the reference by the manual refers to the 'rack' being centred relative to the rack body, and nothing else. That's always been my interpretation and it's worked for me.
    That’s pretty much my interpretation, it’s a rack assembly aid, not a rack installation guide. The latter is defined by its flanges not by a relatively tiny hole.
    MOC member since 05/97

9. #29 Re: Steering Wheel Alignment 
    Quote Originally Posted by stevejgreen View Post
    i fail to see how the rack can be centered when it’s position is dictated by the construction of the rack, and it’s flanges where the rack body is secured by its saddles. The position of the rack is non adjustable!
    It's about centering the rack within the body rather than the body within the car. The rack being the geared bar and the body the cylinder that it's mounted in. So step one is the fit the body to the car via the mounts which fixes its location in the car. Step two is then to center the rack within the body. Then the track rods ends can be fitted and adjusted to get the wheels pointing straight ahead and the steering wheel fitted in the straight ahead position as well
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

10. #30 Re: Steering Wheel Alignment 
    club member Club Member listerjp2's Avatar
    I did say 'it may'.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    It's about centering the rack within the body rather than the body within the car. The rack being the geared bar and the body the cylinder that it's mounted in. So step one is the fit the body to the car via the mounts which fixes its location in the car. Step two is then to center the rack within the body. Then the track rods ends can be fitted and adjusted to get the wheels pointing straight ahead and the steering wheel fitted in the straight ahead position as well