Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front wing bumper bolts

1. #1 Front wing bumper bolts 
    Does anyone know the spec and a supplier of the chrome dome head bolts that fasten the front fibreglass wings to the stays? Preferably on an early Cabrio Having a hard time finding something that seems to be the same measurements as on the car!

thanks,

David,
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned by Danny then Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

2. #2 Re: Front wing bumper bolts 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    How about my favourite fastener supplier in the UK.

https://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/H...shers_117.html
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

3. #3 Re: Front wing bumper bolts 
    Thanks Steve, I have their web site open at the moment, no head width measurements so I'll have to give them a call.

This seems close, nice wide flat dome.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/pr...rome-wing-bolt
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned by Danny then Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

4. #4 Re: Front wing bumper bolts 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    Always best, if you are local, it’s a veritable Aladdin’s cave, if the let you back stage. I was lucky, knew the owners and my staff were in there almost daily,
    If they did not have what I wanted off the shelf, they would find a valid alternative, even from another supplier.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

5. #5 Re: Front wing bumper bolts 
    I used something like these
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

6. #6 Re: Front wing bumper bolts 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member greyV8pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Thanks Steve, I have their web site open at the moment, no head width measurements so I'll have to give them a call.

This seems close, nice wide flat dome.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/pr...rome-wing-bolt
    Thats the type that I would choose as the square shank prevents the bolt turning and the plain flat chromed head looks the part.

7. #7 Re: Front wing bumper bolts 
    frequent forum contributor Club Member
    I never liked the way the wings where retained, so when I built my Berlinetta I bonded a length of angle to the underside (see photo) and bolted that to the supplied mounting bracket.
    I believed this produced a better look to the wings, no problems with rusting chrome bolts.
    Over 30 years I've had no problems with wing security.
    Down to personal preferences.
    Probably a job that should be carried out when building the car, or before a re-spray.
    Attached Images

8. #8 Re: Front wing bumper bolts 
    That’s a very sensible and smart way of doing it Dave.

9. #9 Re: Front wing bumper bolts 
    club member Club Member
    As we needed towing mirrors on the car at times the holes may be larger than standard
    regards Liz

10. #10 Re: Front wing bumper bolts 
    Quote Originally Posted by lizbillings View Post
    As we needed towing mirrors on the car at times the holes may be larger than standard
    regards Liz
    Thanks Liz, yes they are, I'm going to go for a bolt with a larger head if I can find one. If not then I'll fill/re-make with fibreglass and drill again. Nice little job over the winter.