Front wing bumper bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front wing bumper bolts

Does anyone know the spec and a supplier of the chrome dome head bolts that fasten the front fibreglass wings to the stays? Preferably on an early Cabrio Having a hard time finding something that seems to be the same measurements as on the car!

thanks,

David,
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Front wing bumper bolts

How about my favourite fastener supplier in the UK.

MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I have their web site open at the moment, no head width measurements so I'll have to give them a call.

This seems close, nice wide flat dome.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/pr...rome-wing-bolt
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Always best, if you are local, it’s a veritable Aladdin’s cave, if the let you back stage. I was lucky, knew the owners and my staff were in there almost daily,
        If they did not have what I wanted off the shelf, they would find a valid alternative, even from another supplier.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I used something like these
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
            Thanks Steve, I have their web site open at the moment, no head width measurements so I'll have to give them a call.

This seems close, nice wide flat dome.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/pr...rome-wing-bolt
            Thats the type that I would choose as the square shank prevents the bolt turning and the plain flat chromed head looks the part.

Comment

I never liked the way the wings where retained, so when I built my Berlinetta I bonded a length of angle to the underside (see photo) and bolted that to the supplied mounting bracket.
              I believed this produced a better look to the wings, no problems with rusting chrome bolts.
              Over 30 years I've had no problems with wing security.
              Down to personal preferences.
              Probably a job that should be carried out when building the car, or before a re-spray.
              Attached Files

Comment

That’s a very sensible and smart way of doing it Dave.

Comment

As we needed towing mirrors on the car at times the holes may be larger than standard
                  regards Liz

Comment

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
                    As we needed towing mirrors on the car at times the holes may be larger than standard
                    regards Liz
                    Thanks Liz, yes they are, I'm going to go for a bolt with a larger head if I can find one. If not then I'll fill/re-make with fibreglass and drill again. Nice little job over the winter.

Comment

I like Dave's approach. I may update mine when I respray the wings over the winter.
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Gone with the flat head version of this;

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/pr...er-bumper-bolt

'Chromium plated dome head bolt with flats beneath (supplied with washer and nut). choice of round head 14.5mm head diameter x 26mm long x 5/16" (approx 8mm) thread OR flat head 15.7mm head diameter x 20mm long x 5/16" (approx 8mm ) thread.'

The existing bolts have about 16mm heads, 20mm long is plenty and the 8mm (5/16th) size is OK for holes I have.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Bumping this three as found another good source of bolts.

https://raceboltuk.com

Comment

Working...
                          X