Fuel neck and filler cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel neck and filler cap

I noticed lots of pics of Cabrios show a flush ‘3 recess’ petrol filler cap and found one on eBay so bought it. The MK1 Sierra’s had these, later cars had a smaller cap behind a flap.

I was surprised when it arrived today to see that it’s not of the vented type, or at least doesn’t look like it is. The cap on my car looks to be vented as it has a small hole near the key slot. I’d assumed I had an early filler neck, there’s no mention of which on the receipt from 1992.

Looking at the specs for Sierra caps the MK1’s required a vented cap, presumably because the tank/filler didn’t have a vent, and the later MK2/3 cars used non vented caps. I’m guessing the later cars had a vent in the top of the filler neck.

I haven’t been able to find picture of the two types of neck online so wondered if anyone here can tell me how to identify them? I think I know what to look for but some solid experience would help.

I may have just bought a cap I can’t use!
    Last edited by David; 16-11-20, 08:54 PM.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Fuel neck and filler cap

Don't know if this will help or add confusion but the Marlin Build manual specifies a Sierra Saphire filler....

Comment

Again, not sure if this helps, my tank has large diameter, (left) and small diameter (right) outlets, small diameter goes to near top of filler downpipe, as you can see.

The filler Cap is unvented.

Near the top of the filler/vent pipe, I actually have a tyre valve stem (I kid you not) [without the valve] which has a very small diameter (black pipe in the photos) vent pipe, which exits through the floor of the boot and extends well below the bottom of the tank (to prevent overflow, should the car become inverted)?

Good luck!
      Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

From the build manual.
        The Marlin manufactured 12.5 gallon alloy fuel tank is fitted with baffles and a neck to take the Sierra Sapphire filler neck. You may wish to use a new breather pipe, as the old one will have hardened with age. The tank is also fitted with two bosses tapped ¼ NPTF to accept the fuel feed and return elbows. In the event of the power unit not requiring both of these, then the surplus one must be closed off using a proper bung and sealing washer.
        fuel.jpg
        Fs8 - Sapphire fuel filler neck assembly. (A small amount will need to be cut off its length - trim to fit.)
        Shown in photo Fs8 is a Sapphire filler neck assembly with the tyre valve in breather pipe.

NB: This filler neck assembly should have a length of hose fitted to it - routed through the boot floor - to allow expansion and contraction in fuel tank.
        Last edited by chris_cussen; 17-11-20, 05:02 PM. Reason: Add more text

Comment

Thanks all, gives me something to work with.
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

We owned this car for 16 years and it operated happily for 50,000 miles with the present fuel cap. As far as I know the vent in the filler neck only goes to the top of the tank without a secondary one to atmosphere. It is likely to need a vented cap and the owner and builder of the car had drilled a hole in the one fitted for some reason. There is another small pipe, but this drains water from the fuel cap recess. Take care not to dislodge this while investigating the fuel filler. Doug

Comment

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
              We owned this car for 16 years and it operated happily for 50,000 miles with the present fuel cap. As far as I know the vent in the filler neck only goes to the top of the tank without a secondary one to atmosphere. It is likely to need a vented cap and the owner and builder of the car had drilled a hole in the one fitted for some reason. There is another small pipe, but this drains water from the fuel cap recess. Take care not to dislodge this while investigating the fuel filler. Doug
              Thanks Doug. I’m only looking at another cap for aesthetic reasons, I’m scrabbling around trying to find bits to do but credit to you and Liz there isn’t anything that NEEDS doing just the odd bit to tinker with, which is great.

Comment

Hi,
                Can i ask if anyone has the make model number of the fuel filler cap pictured in KAHAWI's photos. Mine was lost at the time it was sprayed in 2003. I have a plain flat cap, but really want to replace it with the type shown in the photo. Thanks Mike.

Comment

This picture taken from fordopedia (http://www.fordopedia.org/parts-cata...erra-mk1/F3.10) lists two Sierra filler caps for GB :
                  GB 7/84 - 11/85 1629183 84BB 9K163A1 AW
                  GB 11/85 - 12/86 1643429 84BB 9K163A1 BW

I’m not sure this is of any help whatsoever but I hope it is.
                  Paul

Fuel filler1.jpg

Comment

When I needed the large washers, for the ends of the ARB, I quoted the part No’s from FordoPedia.org to our local Ford dealer, they knew what I was on about and duly ordered them for me, (from Germany, hellishly expensive) a very good resource for Ford info.

Colin B
                    Marlin Hunter R500 ULA 1997 Ford-Based Hunter with 2.3 DOHC L4 engine, chassis/kit No. 157

Comment

E bay item number 233326281562 . Please note seller says these are aftermarket NOT genuine Ford as they are NLA

Comment

I agree Fordopedia is a most excellent resource. I just thought it would be difficult to purchase a filler using the part number as Ford dealers are unlikely to have any.

I notice the picture shows a vent pipe (item 12) indicating that the filler cap is not vented.
                        Paul

Comment

I tend to use this site for Ford parts information. It has excellent diagrams and part number detail, incuding aftermarket alternatives where applicable.

parts catalog FORD, original catalog FORD, online catalog FORD, Car catalog FORD

Comment

This is the fuel cap on my Hunter. The lettering inside the cap says non vented.
                            07FC43E9-E5D2-48BB-97C2-90FF78D482C0.jpeg1E2C929B-9EA0-4D6B-8025-765F7BFB1084.jpeg

Comment

Hi,
                              Thank you DOGONCRAZY that is the type i have been looking for. Have bought one from your link, will let you know the result. Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X