Swb vs Lwb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swb vs Lwb

Hi hope this isn't a silly question Re Lwb Roadsters, what was the original purpose of extending the chassis was it driver comfort for lanky types or for 6 cylinder engine option and where abouts was the extra metal added, did it have any effects on the handling, Thanks

Re: Swb vs Lwb

The extra space was in the cockpit, so for the taller person.

I have had both and the SWB can take a person up to 5ft 8ins.

Anything above that you will be more comfortable with a LWB.

I have not noted any differences in handling between both.

Adrian

Originally posted by dellboy View Post
    Hi hope this isn't a silly question Re Lwb Roadsters, what was the original purpose of extending the chassis was it driver comfort for lanky types or for 6 cylinder engine option and where abouts was the extra metal added, did it have any effects on the handling, Thanks

Comment

You can usually spot the long wheelbase cars by the extension inserted between the rear of the front wing and the rear wing. So they didn’t have to make a longer front wing. See example here;
      Attached Files
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Later versions had a one piece wing, but you are right , my LWB had the extra 6" as a filler.

Some LWB had a dropped floor pan.

John Brice, who is 6ft 4" has a LWB with the lowered floor pan and he sits below the windscreen.

These are quite rare though.

Adrian

Comment

When I ordered my Roadster kit from Steve Himsworth at YKC I'm sure he said that the LWB version would become the 'standard' and the SWB was available as an option as it was deemed more suitable for those owners who might wish to enter trials events.

Comment

I was told that the LWB was designed to allow a set of Golf Clubs to be carried!!!!!!!!!! David.

Comment

That was the Cabrio/ Hunter not the roadster.

Comment

I have an outer wing with the 6" insert in my garage if anyone needs it they can have it for cost of delivery...
                Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Thank for all the replies

Comment

Exactly that, when I originally bought mine I tried out both at the factory and being a 6 footer the LWB was a no brainer
                    1700 OHC marina based LWB roadster. HPH 415V
                    Kit purchased and collected from Plymouth circa 1988
                    Build completed early 1992
                    SORN for 15+ years until August 2020 + major rebuild / refurbishment commenced

Comment

Working...
                    X