Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axel ID

Hi,
    My Marlin just failed the MOT on a rear wheel bearing. I know mine has the Morris Marina 1800 engine and assumed the running gear was also Morris Marina. Is there any way to ID the rear axel to ensure I buy the right bearing? Can post pics later if that would help?

Many thanks in advance.

Kelton

Re: Rear Axel ID

Search Steve Green's thread on rear hubs 7/6/2012

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
      Search Steve Green's thread on rear hubs 7/6/2012
      Thanks.

There are subtle differences depending on the year of the donor car.
      There is no external visual difference between the two, particularly seals, so you will have to take them apart.

There is lots of info if you follow the link in my forum signature, the document you will be looking for is here or there

Parts are generally available from Rimmer Brothers and are identical to those from a Dolomite (not the sprint) so you can pick part numbers from there.

In my Archive you will find parts lists, and workshop manuals to guide you through the process.

Not wanting to scare you off but removing the hub and the bearing and then refitting usually requires a 20ton press. I had an agreement with my local garage so I went prepared with an extra large box of tea bags a bag of sugar and a biscuit selection, a tin of Quality Street should help you along the way.
      MOC member since 05/97
      1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
      1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
      Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks very much. I think I’ve found the bearing!
        Yes, I was worried that it might be a difficult job. The garage that MOT’d the car wen’t interested in doing it at all. Better get myself tea bags and biscuits and visit a few local garages!
        Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by keltonturvey View Post
          Thanks very much. I think I’ve found the bearing!
          Yes, I was worried that it might be a difficult job. The garage that MOT’d the car wen’t interested in doing it at all. Better get myself tea bags and biscuits and visit a few local garages!
          Thanks again.
          Presumably at this stage you don’t know which of the two sizes of oil seal you need and you have not got the paper gasket.
          All the necessary replaceable parts usually came with a bearing kit.
          MOC member since 05/97
          1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
          1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
          Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
          X