Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marina Roadster - which make of dampers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Roadster - which make of dampers?

I will be fitting new dampers as part of my restoration as the originals are at least 30 years old!
    As I understand it you fit Marina dampers to the rear but Triumph Herald rear dampers to the front as they incorporate bump stops.
    In the past I have always fitted adjustable dampers on my projects but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of choice for the Marina rears. So far I have only found Spax which are fairly expensive at around £100 per corner.
    So my question is - what have others used? I guess some other owners must have replaced them sometime in the recent past?

Cheers, Robin

Re: Marina Roadster - which make of dampers?

Never found much wrong with standard rears personally

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
      Never found much wrong with standard rears personally
      I used them for years as well on PKK and that got thrashed around the countryside and on auto tests.

There is at least one thread on this subject here though, maybe worth a search.
      - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Thanks guys. I did a search but was only able to find a thread about Avo dampers.

The problem is that even standard dampers for the Marina rear seem to be non-existant, according to Google anyway. It looks like Monroe used to be one of the suppliers but I can't actually find anybody selling them anymore.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Originally posted by martinclan56 View Post
          Thanks guys. I did a search but was only able to find a thread about Avo dampers.

The problem is that even standard dampers for the Marina rear seem to be non-existant, according to Google anyway. It looks like Monroe used to be one of the suppliers but I can't actually find anybody selling them anymore.

Cheers, Robin
          I think that this is why Spax are so expensive now. Have you tried the fast marina forum?
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Cheers, Robin
            i think the price from Spax is because they are no longer off the shelf, but built to order.

Do you know what your donor car was. There were two sizes of torsion bars and several different rear springs.

it’s worth ordering suitable bushes fro superflex and updating all the suspension bushes when you change the shocks especially if you are on originals or NOS.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
              i think the price from Spax is because they are no longer off the shelf, but built to order.

Do you know what your donor car was. There were two sizes of torsion bars and several different rear springs.

it’s worth ordering suitable bushes fro superflex and updating all the suspension bushes when you change the shocks especially if you are on originals or NOS.

Yes - I suspected that might be the case. Might have to put my hand in my pocket then, or just wait 'till an NOS pair turn up on ebay.
              Donor was a 1971 1.8 single carb saloon.
              Yes - already bought some Superflex bushes.

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Originally posted by andyf View Post
                I think that this is why Spax are so expensive now. Have you tried the fast marina forum?

I posted a Wanted on the Fast Marina forum. But I don't hold out much hope....

Cheers, Robin

Comment

Not familiar with the Marina but just did a search on Autodoc for Marina 1.8TC Rear and these came up. Any use? Peter.

Comment

Yes those are the ones. But out of stock. Seems to be the story everywhere.
                    Cheers Robin

Comment

Set on ebay
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373308661834
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

I posted a Wanted on the Fast Marina forum. But I don't hold out much hope....

Cheers, Robin
                        They are a friendly bunch, give them time.
                        MOC member since 05/97
                        1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                        Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Originally posted by jon_cox View Post

Thank-you. They must have just turned up. Been looking for weeks....

Cheers, Robin

Comment

This is what I have on my Marlin

Admittedly a bit pricey

Regards

Adrian

Comment

i have recently purchased two rear GAZ shock absorbers for my Marina rear end. I had to wait a few weeks for them to be made as they are not stock items. However they are adjustable and at around £80 each cheaper then SPAX

Comment

Working...
                              X