Dismantling question 1 - removing the windscreen clamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dismantling question 1 - removing the windscreen clamp

Can anyone suggest the best method for removing the goo that seals the windscreen to the fiberglass moulding - the one that carries the wipers. I can imagine it wont be easy...
    Cheers Robin

Re: Dismantling question 1 - removing the windscreen clamp

Depends on the type of goo, very GENTLE warming may help, but first off you'll need plenty of patience. Don't rush it, likewise removal of the screen

Stanley knife does work, a broken off hack saw blade may also be useful

Good luck !

Comment

Depends on the goo but warm, a Stanley scraper, wire wool, and WD40, Acetone, cellulose thinners, and patience. Good luck!

Comment

In the end it proved much easier than expected. The goo (some sort of putty I suspect) had gone hard and lost most of its adhesion.
        Now for the REALLY BIG challenge - to get the windscreen out in one piece :-)

Cheers, Robin

Comment

I know this is a Roadster, but when I removed the windscreen from my Berlinetta I used a small ratchet strap to pull the legs of the surround apart. I laid it flat on a trailer that I had, but you could do it on a lawn with a couple of pegs pushed into the ground. Tie one end and pull the other with the ratchet strap, it worked a treat for me.

Comment

Originally posted by scott h View Post
            I know this is a Roadster, but when I removed the windscreen from my Berlinetta I used a small ratchet strap to pull the legs of the surround apart. I laid it flat on a trailer that I had, but you could do it on a lawn with a couple of pegs pushed into the ground. Tie one end and pull the other with the ratchet strap, it worked a treat for me.

Sadly the screen frame on the roadster is part of the chassis only way is to dig out the putty/sealer as above try using a silicon releasing product.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Working...
            X