Ignition and door lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition and door lock

I noticed that my Cabrio’s ignition lock was very worn so got a refurbed set (ignition and door) from an eBay’er, a chance to get one key for both as well.

Managed to fit the ignition barrel OK but gave up with the door lock as it meant fumbling around with the window winder and door handle which I could see was going to be less than trivial.

So partial success, I now have a good ignition lock and key so no more worrying about the thing jamming up on me, but for now at least still need another key for the door lock.

While looking at the door I noticed the restraining strap bracket is starting to pull out of the panel, pic attached. Maybe worth checking your own for similar wear and tear.
    Attached Files
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: Ignition and door lock

Well why not expand the task and convert to electric windows whilst there?

Must admit I will be off to look at the strap attachment of my doors and that doesn't look too good. It would have made sense to fit a flat plate inside the door for it to bolt up to so as to spread the load.
    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

I put a plate behind the bracket to spread the load.
      I don't bother with door locks, mostly I have the roof off anyway so it doesn't make sense, and it is probably easy enough to get into the car with the roof up.

Comment

The only difficulty I recall with the earlier Cabrio's is the window winder mechanism is attached to the trim panel, later cars with the sculptured trim have a sub panel behind the main one to which the mechanism is attached so making the removal / refitting a lot easier. It's not that bad a job and what else can you do at Christmas !

Comment

Originally posted by dogoncrazy View Post
          The only difficulty I recall with the earlier Cabrio's is the window winder mechanism is attached to the trim panel, later cars with the sculptured trim have a sub panel behind the main one to which the mechanism is attached so making the removal / refitting a lot easier. It's not that bad a job and what else can you do at Christmas !
          I found this, being an earlier car, out the hard way. I’ll get back to it when the weather warms up and I can get the car on the drive so it’s easier to work on.
          - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
          - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
          - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
          - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
          - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

Working...
          X