Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternator problem… again.

Element
    Have you by now established the make and model number of the Alternator fitted to your car?

I can see no mention in your posts of the type you actually have?

If you are unable to identify it, a photo of where the wires/terminals are fitted would be useful.

On provision of that I/we maybe able to advise you further.
    Last edited by Ye Ol Ripper; 06-01-21, 09:56 AM.

Comment

A local scrapyard has a test rig for alternators. It is quite simple.
      You need 1 wire to the ignition/warning lamp through a small bulb (like ignition warning lamp bulb). This is necessary to energise the alternator.
      If there is more than one large terminal then connect them together and wire this up to a headlamp bulb.
      Connect the alternator body to the battery negative and the other side of the headlamp bulb to the alternator body.
      Spin the alternator (electric drill onto pulley?) and see if the bulb lights.

I have created a crude diagram.
      rig.jpg

Comment

Hi guys, sorry for the absence & non response; haven't had much time of late. However, I do have this weekend completely free & reckon I can easily rig up a test jig in the garage. I'll get to it and record the results. I have a multimeter. In lockdown up here and now have time on my hands, list of Marlin jobs to do...

Comment

Do not forget to check the battery voltage before starting the test. Again when the alternator is running (this should be higher than the original battery voltage) then if you can still with the alternator running use a source of heat such as a hot air gun and warm the alternator until it is reasonably hot all the while keeping an eye on the voltage.
          If this sinks back down to the battery voltage or less then I would suggest the voltage sensor in the alternator is defective. It may be that the original rebuild only changed the brushes as the normal wearing part of the alternator. If they changed the pully then the alternator has probably done a lot of miles.

Comment

Working...
          X