Roadster roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster roof

Looking for a roadster roof - any ideas?

Re: Roadster roof

There has been quite a few posts about soft tops and some that have found a company to make one.
    Search on here or in the true spirit of kit car ownership make one yourself, many have successfully.

Comment

If you don't already have a roof you will also need the cant rail. It's a glassfibre moulding that is attached to the forward edge of the hood material enabling the hood to be secured to the windscreen frame.

Comment

Back in 2013-14, on a MIG welding forum, these pics are from a selection of someone's roof construction on a Triumph based Roadster

Does anyone know if the project was ever finished, and do you have any pics ?
        Attached Files

Comment

Somewhere in the Marlin Club there is a mould for a LWB Roadster. I have a shell off that mould which I am cutting to fit a SWB. Not easy and too cold. Cutting a section out and getting the edges to meet was fun. More cutting and laminating to do. But it is a nice top. The metal one above looks like a modified top from something else, no? A close look at the MIG welding is not pretty.

Comment

The metal one is a scratch build (deffo from flat sheet) by someone who was learning to weld, two more pics :

Trust you're staying well Dave ?
            Attached Files

Comment

So far so good thanks, Dave. What made me wonder was, some looked very professional but some of the MIG did look a bit beginerish. It would be nice to see the finished article. I will try to take some pics of my roof but it has been so cold and wet I've done nothing for a couple of weeks.

Comment

From what little welding I've done it's not too hard to get the spot welding
                looking 100%, but real welding is more than a tad more difficult

Rgds DC

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
                  From what little welding I've done it's not too hard to get the spot welding
                  looking 100%, but real welding is more than a tad more difficult

Rgds DC
                  Don’t I know it :-) my welding isn’t great but when I do get a neat weld that I can be proud of I do exactly the same 5 minutes later and a bit of a mess.
                  Looks good with a bit of grinding though.
                  I definitely need practice.

Comment

Originally posted by meverett View Post
                    Don’t I know it :-) my welding isn’t great but when I do get a neat weld that I can be proud of I do exactly the same 5 minutes later and a bit of a mess.
                    Looks good with a bit of grinding though.
                    I definitely need practice.
                    Welding is definitely a skill that requires a lot of practice. My gas welding used to be quite decent back in the 90s but my MIG welding is not there yet, I need much more practice.
                    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

I used to enjoy gas welding on bodywork but I find Mig with a 'Domestic' set can be a bit hit and miss. Easier with flux-cored wire outdoors where all my welding is done. On heavier gauge, I like using arc. It seems on thin steel Tig is the way to go, but I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

So no comments on whether the roof was ever finished ?

The car was Q896 FLH, it is SORN'd, anyone on here own it or know of it ?
                        Last edited by dcunn; 26-01-21, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X