Fuel Preservative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Preservative

Today I started up my Berlinetta for the first time this year.
    Although it started ok it coughed and spluttered a lot, this a put down to stale fuel.
    I believe that fuel has a short use by date, about 1 to 2 months. the fuel in my tank has probably been there since last summer.
    Will end up expensive if I keep having to dump stale fuel. Especially in these uncertain times.
    I have heard that you can buy fuel preservative, (available from Screwfix) that alleviates this problem?

Has anybody had any experience of this product?

Re: Fuel Preservative

I use castrol valvemaster and mine is usually ok, he says with fingers crossed! Although I don't leave mine for that long.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 2.0L Pinto built in 1986

Comment

Not tried the Screwfix additive but use the Wynns Lead substitute additive in pinto engined Berli which extends the petrol life by up to 2yrs, and is also safe if you have Cat converter.
      Have used Valvemaster in other pre war car for the last 20yrs and no problems but not suitable for use with Cat

Comment

Fuel in my tank sat there for 3 years while I sorted out what to do with the engine I destroyed. New engine in, turned key and started with no issues. The fuel was not treated with anything.
        I don't think fuel goes off if it is in an airtight container.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
          The screwfix product is made by Mountfield for grass mowers, I was told about it by a neighbour,
          I'll try one of the products advised above.
          As stated by Chris, apparently the fuel does not go off in a airtight container. The fuel tank on my Berlinetta is not air tight, it has a breather hose.

Just for information, the last time I put fuel in the tank was last September?
          I have run this car for 30 years lately SORNing it for the winter months, This is the first time I have come across this problem,
          Perhaps I started it up more often in previous years.

Again thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
          X