Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indicator stalk

hi Everyone.....
    I am still having problems finding an indicator stalk for my 1982 Marina based Ital, this is one final plea to ask if anyone might have a spare Stalk amonst their Bits in the Garage...... otherwise i will have to go down the road of a "Mix and Match and Modify" mode....

And thanks to all who helped me earlier, if i haven't thanked you personally, its because i am still finding my way around this web site.!!
    Thanks again.....

Re: Indicator stalk

Pretty sure late spitfires and midgets used the same stalks, have you compared with what Rimmers sell for the spitfire?

Comment

Hi John
      I have just sent you a PM in response to yours.
      A picture of what you have will get you the result you are looking for.
      Jon
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

thamk J...
        i am not aware these indicators are interchangeable with other makes an models, so i assume i would keep my 'Plugs" and rewire them to the new indicator stalk.?
        sorry to sound so Novice, but in fact i am as i am new to this game.!!!
        lol'
        john.

Comment

John has sent me some photos via email that I will now post below.
          It would appear that the problem is a broken clamp bracket. I know this is a common problem
          If anyone can help John with a replacement then I know he would be extremely grateful.

IMG_4454.jpgIMG_4456.jpgIMG_4470.jpgIMG_E5236.jpgindecator plugs.jpgindecator stalk.jpgIMG_4307 - Copy.jpg
          Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
          - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Land Rover Defender stalks are similar but not identical. My suggestion would be to buy something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/land-rove...AAAOSwf1VgADd-
            s-l1600.jpg
            Then swap the stalks on to your backing plate. The wiper is dead easy - just three screws. The indicator needs a little more care; release from the backing plate very gently or springs and detents will go everywhere (ask me how I know!) but if you are patient it's not too difficult. You will have to also change over the multiplugs as well. However, I think you would have to do that with any replacement you found because they look like aftermarket items to me.

Comment

thanks john.....
              if push comes to shove, i have a way out.!!
              cheers.!!

Comment

thanks for posting those for me jon.!!!

Comment

274657367356 may be what you need

Comment

thanks cameron, that is pretty close to my old one.... im going to buy it and give it a go.... unfortunately i will have to swop the electrical plugs around, mine are flat blade type, these are round pins.....
                    thanks mate.!!

Comment

I completely rebuilt mine from bits for Land Rovers and Austin Maxis. The end cap on the stalks comes off with a little force and then you can remove the contact unit by drilling out carefully where the little dent is in the tube. Then you can shorten the wand and put different ends on. There are different styles of detent used down in the body of the unit and you can change them from a soft, quiet feel with a ball bearing, used in the posher cars to a heavy plasticky "clatch" used in the Marina. My wand was too long and would have stuck out over the door, I can't remember what it was off.

Get a good body with an intact clamp and mix and match the rest. The same basic unit was used in Marinas, Maxi, Allegro, some Land Rovers/Discovery/Range Rover, some Lotus Esprit, the odd Lamborghini model and also Leyland vans. There were left and right handed models with the indicator on the left or right. The Windscreen wiper wand and switch often comes separately.

And yes you will probably have to change the plugs- cut the wires and solder to the wires on the correct plug.
                      Last edited by boustrophedon; 20-03-21, 07:40 PM.
                      Formally DonSayers on here.

Comment

Working...
                      X