Fuel lines and wheel arches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel lines and wheel arches

It's amazing what can be done in a lunch break if the kids aren't at home!

Fuel lines installation - I was hoping to use a combined sender and high pressure in-tank fuel pump but as the tank that came with the car (alu) is only 170mm deep and the sender is at one side so is not positioned over the deepest part....and...and...

Using the solid state Facet low pressure fuel pump that was one of the few decent things to remain on the car (everything else of value was stripped off prior to sale ), I am figuring thought the system with a swirl pot, high pressure (45psi/3 bar) internal pump and adjustable Sytec pressure regulator. In my particular setup I have made a conscious decision to locate all the fuel system components in the rear of the car; the theory being that all the flammable fluids and gasses will be as far away as possible from the hot and electrical bits at the front. Additionally, it keeps the engine bay a little bit less cluttered. Naturally, everything is connected up with E85/ethanol proof Gates Barricade fuel hose.

Fuelling diagram (dead-head / non-return fuel rail): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cYp...ew?usp=sharing

With 10-minutes to spare before my post-lunch video meetings; I mocked up and measured the rear wheel arches to get a quote for a new set that are wider (to accommodate the wider wheels), have louvres in like the fronts and matching the engine bay sides, plus a new lower profile lighting pod for LEDs.
    Attached Files

Re: Fuel lines and wheel arches

Hi Kieran
    Looks like a really neat installation. Always good to keep all the fuel away from the engine. Certainly how the rally boys do it.
    Please make sure the fuel line from the high pressure pump is designed for the pressure you intend to use. Also, make sure it is very well protected from road debris. Stainless braided would be my choice. If you get a split from a stone or something, you will certainly know about it. Please also make sure the electrics are done in accordance to the IVA regs. You must have the correct relays in place in case of an accident. Again, no joke if the high pressure line gets cut.
    Maybe a consideration would be to put the pressure regulator under the bonnet, nice and close to the fuel rail. This should mean the return fuel will be at a lower pressure and you will have easy access to the reg for tuning in the FI system. It should give better pressure stability. I am saying this with the assumption that your FI requires a fuel return of course.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks Jon. The fuel pipe is kevlar lined and I'm toying with the thought of mounting it on a 'shelf' through the tunnel just in case.
      The wiring is OK, thankfully the original builder put in a crash cut off to the hp pump circuit from the donor Sierra/Granada.
      The car is SVA'd and has been on the road for years so no IVA for me ;-) It's on a correctly registered 'Marlin kit' v5.

Comment

How wide are you intending going with wheels / tyres ? What power unit are you running?

Comment

245 on 18"s
          ST170 on ITB'S and ME221 cpu

Comment

I ran my fuel lines through copper pipe that was mounted in the transmission tunnel to make sure it was out of harms way.
            I also fitted an inertial fuel cut off switch to the fuel pumps.

Comment

Dumb question about inertia switches...there is a ford one in the engine bay but "just in case" can I wire in a second in the boot? Can they be wired in series, e.g just spliced in? If I have one for the high pressure pump, I guess I should have one for the low pressure too?
              It would appear the the low pressure pump is not on the same circuit as the HP pump and so not connected to the existing cut off switch.

Comment

If you have separate electrical feeds to the two pumps then you need a switch in each line.
                It would be best to mount the switches somewhere easily accessible though, you dont want to be crawling under the car to reset one.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_cussen View Post
                  If you have separate electrical feeds to the two pumps then you need a switch in each line.
                  It would be best to mount the switches somewhere easily accessible though, you dont want to be crawling under the car to reset one.
                  Thank you; makes complete sense

Comment

Working...
                  X