Fiat 2.0 twin cam - gearbox oil replacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiat 2.0 twin cam - gearbox oil replacing

A few years ago I found my smiths speedo defective, on opening it up I found it half full of oil. Completely gobsmacked I eventually traced it back to the speedo drive on the (5 speed) gearbox probably having an oil seal within & it must have perished allowing oil to travel the length of the 5.5' speedo cable & into the speedometer itself rendering it inoperable. I managed to thoroughly clean the instrument and the cable of oil and refitted it and got it working again but I knew it would happen again... I got a summer's 1000 miles out of it and then it eventually succumbed. The speedo drive on the gearbox is in a position where I either have to remove the gearbox completely and then replace the drive unit - or else remove the seats, remove the carpet and cut a big hole in the propshaft central tunnel to access the drive unit and replace it.

I didn't go either route and instead came up with a third option; leave it where it is and replace the Smiths speedometer with a modern GPS one that mimics a similar classic style. This meant cutting a bigger hole in the recently made & installed wooden dash but so be it.

The GPS speedo in, all was well, it worked perfectly & I then just tied away the old speedo cable & sealed the end in a bag. Then the 1st lockdown came and the car didn't get out at all last year.

Now I have it 18" up on stands and I am getting through a long list of things to do. One of these is to make a stopper plug to screw onto the speedo drive instead of the speedo cable end; this will stop any further leak. However I don't know whether the gearbox has the correct (1.8lts) capacity of transmission oil. To be sure, I intend to drain it and refill it. I suspect I have lost maybe 300/400mls oil over time.

So this is a long route to ask - where is the filler plug on a Fiat gearbox circa 1983? I have the Argenta / 132 haynes book but it doesn't describe where it is. They describe two versions of the 5 speed box; early and late; they show a diagram on the early one with a plug on the uppermost end but it's not clear if its the forward or rearward; I suspect rearward end I am loathe to think it may be on the top of the box - but mine is from a late model not early. I imagine it is in a similar location. So I expect I will end up cutting an access hole in the tunnel... Unless one of you guys can shed some light on my problem? Ta very much...

... Just as well there's a current lockdown... No excuses for not doing the list of jobs...

Re: Fiat 2.0 twin cam - gearbox oil replacing

Hi
    I also have the fiat twin cam engine and gearbox.
    I only have the one oil plug in the gearbox. To service the oil I firstly have to remove the old oil by pumping/sucking it out. It is then a simple process of adding the new oil until it reaches the plug hole and starts to leak out.
    The plug is easy to access as it is low down on the 'box and is situated at the rear.

short gear box_LI.jpg
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Thanks very much - I'll look at mine and figure what to do; if it is the same design I should be able to locate that. I'll have a look tomorrow morning. The speedo drive is just to the right of your drain plug. I hope I can get access. The drain plug on yours looks like it's an allen key head - if so & if mine's the same I might be able to cut one down and get it to fit in the very limited space. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Comment

Looks to me like a smallish hole could be made in the tunnel and closed off afterwards with a rubber grommet ?

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
          Looks to me like a smallish hole could be made in the tunnel and closed off afterwards with a rubber grommet ?
          Yes, but it still needs the seat(s?) removed and the carpet to even do that. I'll get under it tomorrow; despite the lockdown & not working this weekend it is amazing how time gets swallowed up... 2 sheltering elderly parents shopping and umpteen hospital appointments this month 🙄 non stop working since August... I never seem to get a spare moment to even begin the list of Marlin jobs! By the time I have finished them it'll probably be October again & it won't have even been on the road once this year... However - there's always hope...

Comment

Originally posted by dcunn View Post
            Yes, but it still needs the seat(s?) removed and the carpet to even do that. I'll get under it tomorrow; despite the lockdown & not working this weekend it is amazing how time gets swallowed up... 2 sheltering elderly parents shopping and umpteen hospital appointments this month 🙄 non stop working since August... I never seem to get a spare moment to even begin the list of Marlin jobs! By the time I have finished them it'll probably be October again & it won't have even been on the road once this year... However - there's always hope...

Comment

I'm very pleased to report that I found the fill plug on the right (drivers side) of the gearbox within easy reach from the engine bay...

Today's job was dismantling the exhaust system, it was blowing at the meeting of the lower pipe flange & the exhaust manifold flange. I removed three of the four studs and found that the 4th one had broken - hence the gas leak. It took a while to extract the broken section but ingenuity saved the day. I have just ordered 4 x stainless M8 double ended studs & 4 x aerotight stainless nuts.

Next job is the replacement of the electric cooling fan thermo switch with a new special inline one.

Comment

Working...
              X