Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing engine and transmission

1. #1 Removing 1800 engine and transmission 
    club member Club Member
    G’Day all
    I am about to remove the engine/transmission in my 1993 LWB roadster in order to swap the transmission and have a couple of questions.My transmission has very worn synchromesh between 2/3 and 3/4.Lukly when I bought the car from the original owner it came with many spare parts as he had two donor cars I took the transmission as I remember marinas having some problems with the unit. The unit in my car was modified with a triumph O/D unit ,I am not going to try modify the transmission to accept the O/D unit as the is way above my skill level and I seldom drive on the High Ways and use mostly secondary back roads.The question I have is when I took the new T to a transmission shop to take a look at the synchros he told me they looked fine but he said I should fill it with some fine oil as it looked like it had been sitting with out oil and so when I got it back to my shop I filled it 5/30 and let it sit for several weeks and when I looked at it yesterday some of the oil had leaked out the back end ,it was sitting a an angle with the flange almost touching the floor ,is this leak because I put a full quart of oil and allowed the tail piece to drop down .Hopfully there is a photo showing the angle.I am going to replace the seal but local parts stores do not know what a Marina is,is it the same part # as in a Spitfire if so I can get one also the throw out bearing and clutch plate are they spitfire parts if so great they are available .
    On removing the engine .I believe the proper way is to undo everything and to lift the motor and move it ahead a couple of inches and then lower it to the ground,I assume the rad can stay as it is behind the steering rack .Is there anything peculiar to the marlin engine removal?
    Thanks
    Last edited by michael47; 07-03-2021 at 09:53 PM.

2. #2 Re: Removing engine and transmission 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    You dont say, and I can’t remember, 1.8 or 1.3 engine, the clutches are not interchangeable.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

3. #3 Re: Removing engine and transmission 
    club member Club Member
    Sorry I forgot it is an 1800. We never had the A series in NA and I think of all marinas as 1800

4. #4 Re: Removing engine and transmission 
    club member Club Member stevejgreen's Avatar
    To my knowledge at this time of the day, none of the Triumph clutches match the 1.8, neither in diameter or the number of splines on the gearbox input shaft.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

5. #5 Re: Removing engine and transmission 
    club member Club Member
    Luckily the clutch is good ,are the other parts the throw out bearing and the rear seal Triumph parts
    Thanks
    Michael

6. #6 Re: Removing 1800 engine and transmission 
    club member Club Member
    Hi Michael

I've just rebuilt my Marina Gearbox all the parts are available on-line. I brought a kit that included all the correct bearing including layshaft and needle rollers and all gaskets and seals I also brought a set of syncro cones, its not until you compare the old with the new that you realise that they are worn. I think the whole lot was about £180.00p. Mine was baulking quite badly which didn't help at all with my short remote gearchange. Still don't know the outcome yet as I'm still rebuilding the car. If you go down this route you need cut cut down the old layshaft to use as a dummy whilst rebuilding the gearbox otherwise the needle rollers can become displaced. I lifted the engine and gearbox out from the car with an engine crane whilst the car was supported high on 4 sturdy axle stands.

Regards

Mick.

Engine Ready to go back in..jpgEngine out.jpgProgressing .jpg
    Attached Images

7. #7 Re: Removing 1800 engine and transmission 
    Respect, Mick, coming along nicely
    Rgds DC

8. #8 Re: Removing 1800 engine and transmission 
    Great working environment!
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned by Danny then Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, the Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph based Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Kit manufactured 1983, first registered in 1987. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne in the NE of England.

9. #9 Re: Removing 1800 engine and transmission 
    club member Club Member
    Thanks. Mick great help , I dropped mine out the bottom love those wheels. 620853BD-F164-437D-8392-9AC5C1356956.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]12248[/ATTACH
    Last edited by michael47; 18-03-2021 at 05:07 AM.

10. #10 Re: Removing 1800 engine and transmission 
    club member Club Member
    Great pictures :-) So I thought I would contribute mine.

engine_out4 by Robin Martin, on Flickr

Looking at the pictures has reminded me of a question I had.
    Does anyone know why there is a step in the bulkhead below the pedal box? Is it for strength perhaps?
    I will be remaking my bulkhead as it is cracked and full of holes in the wrong places and it would be considerably easier without the step.

Cheers, Robin