Click here to sign up  Click here to go to the galleries  Click here to go to the code of conduct  Click here to go to the video page  Click here to go to the SW Meets page

Thread: Cabrio 205 Pinto Engine Squeaky Fan Belt.

1. #1 Cabrio 205 Pinto Engine Squeaky Fan Belt. 
    club member Club Member
    Here's an odd/interesting one for you that I need some help/advice on.

My 205 Engine'd Cabrio starts and runs OK but whenever I put a load on the alternator (turn the lights on) the toothed belt protests like a wailing banshee, it then settles down, then when I put an additional load on it (heater fan) off goes the banshee again and so on with each additional load I put on the alternator, even the indicators cause phased belt protestations.

The voltage remains steady at about 13.8 volts, I have adjusted the belt assuming that its slipping but then the belt makes a noise like a buzz saw. What's going on?

The engines is fitted with a belt driven viscous cooling fan.

Is my belt knackered/does it have to be a toothed belt, is the alternator under-powered and is over working?
    Could all of the pully's be knackered?
    It happens at all engine temperatures.

Help/advice/suggestions required. Please.

Regards to all

Mick.

2. #2 Re: Cabrio 205 Pinto Engine Squeaky Fan Belt. 
    club member Club Member chris_cussen's Avatar
    Hi,
    Are you sure the belt has teeth, or does it consist of a set of grooves, which I think is usual for this engine/alternator combination.
    I think the noise is cause by the belt slipping slightly as you increase the load as it takes more power to spin the alternator.
    I would check the belt tension and look to see if it is showing signs or wear. They are not very expensive to replace.
    Chris
    Cabrio, Omex 2.0l 170bhp Zetec blacktop, Omex ECU and wiring loom.

3. #3 Re: Cabrio 205 Pinto Engine Squeaky Fan Belt. 
    club member Club Member
    Had the same issues with mine. ended up replacing the alternator and grooved belt.
    Also did try belt dressing spray as a temporary measure
    Dave

4. #4 Re: Cabrio 205 Pinto Engine Squeaky Fan Belt. 
    Moderator Club Member
    Mick
    I would just change the belt at first as it's less costly and see what result is.

5. #5 Re: Cabrio 205 Pinto Engine Squeaky Fan Belt. 
    club member Club Member bryannewell's Avatar
    Pretty sure a Pinto 205 does not have a toothed belt? (I restored a Roadster a while ago and put in a Pinto with 205 block) in fact I have a belt left over from that and it is not grooved!(before anyone asks,it is not available as I have just used used it together with a Sowing Machine motor to make a Drum Sander, Another lockdown project!)
    Belt prob just needs a tighten but may benefit from a new one
    Stapley Bryan

6. #6 Re: Cabrio 205 Pinto Engine Squeaky Fan Belt. 
    club member Club Member
    My guess is that it is a cogged v belt. These have more or less superseded plain v belts due to better efficiency and longer life. A cogged v belt runs on the same v pulley as a plain belt.