Radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator

Before I start dismantling to get at my radiator, is there anything I should know.
    Looks like:
    1. bonnet off
    2. remove grille
    3. undo bolts holding bonnet sides at front
    4. undo bolts holding apron of radiator shell
    5. possibly remove light bar
    6. remove radiator shell
    7. remove radiator (after disconnecting hoses)

Have I missed anything?

Re: Radiator

Message originally posted by: Alan Hogg
    Pretty much as you have it. See forum 21st Jan 06 by Roger {Milton Keynes] regarding replacing steering rack

Comment

I managed to just remove the light-bar securing bolts, bonnet and undo the entire apron/grill surround moulding and remove it by tilting it under the light bar. A bit fiddly but I had the rad out in about 20 mins.
      Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
      Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Depends on what engine you have, if your lucky you can get the rad over the front of the engine by lowering it off the mounts.this saves removing the body work. If its Marina based then Ill pass.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

If it's Triumph 4 cyl based (like mine), just remove hoses - unbolt rad - remove it from car. It's a doddle.

Comment

Just trying to get my radiator cowl off. Ive undone the 10 bolts but it seems gripped by some unseen force? Any clues what Ive missed guys?

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Message originally posted by: Peter Seabrook-Harris
              Hi Peter
              Don't think you have missed anything if the car was built as per manual. It can be a tight fit however due to a certain amount of 'spring ' in the glassfibre of the cowl. My guess is that it's just tight in the area where the cowl slots behind and between the engine side panels and the radiator support panels. A second pair of hands is invaluable especially when refitting.
              Good Luck
              Alan Hogg

You are absolutely spot on Alan ? I hate being beaten but have also learned that brute force is not a great option either! (A pal once found a seat on an old Bentley would not roll back on its runner and when he looked it was a live 12 bore cartridge!)

Yup it was exactly as you said and Im hoping to get the radiator (looks like a Vauxhall HA) not just reconned but also upgraded as I know a great rad man.

The car absolutely cooked on the hottest day in July when I was in London with the brake fluids boiling but that?s probably more due to a calliper .

More work but cant argue as its had little go wrong in 3 years!

Cheers for your swift help
              Regards
              Peter

Comment

Well with the rad out its now gone to my favourite radiator man in Hampshire (used em since 1971!)who reckons he can significantly upgrade its capacity. I'll post the results and cost etc whenI have them. Meanwhile with the rad out I found a big chunk was missing off the water pump outlet so that is being replaced while the rad is away as access is good of course with the front end stripped.

Comment

HOLD ON!! what happened to Brian MacLeod and his rad in the Highlands
                  Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Is Brian's Marina based? I can get my rad out (just) by undoing (hoses obviously) four very short bolts to the shroud and sliding it out from underneath. I am assuming that my rad was a BMC 1800 one, modified

Comment

Marina based - no idea about the origins of the radiator - I'm from Oz, so I am not familiar with UK cars.

I'm going to take the radiator out this weekend. I've found a radiator builder and I'm going to get it made as fat as possible.
                      Hadn't thought about taking it out from below - I'll look at that.

Comment

The Viva HA rad seems to be the original item mostly used or a Maxi? and very weedy it is too. Designed for a 1100 ccc engine hardly ideal for an 1800 B series.
                        Mine has been rebuilt and this has grown from 56 cores to 114 now so just over double the capacity and little real diference in profile. This cost me ?110 so little more than the Viva HA recon number I was offered at ?80 plus post. The thermo cover was as corroded as the water pump outlet so both replaced with new plus yes new hoses as cheap as chips at Speedy Spares.
                        The Kenlowe fan was wired in with skinny wire connecting a relay with thermocoupling. The insulation had melted and left a live wire shorting so some proper 30 amp stuff now going in. hopefully the fan will rarely come on !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X