New guy with old car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with old car.

Hi Guys, I'm a Londoner living near Wisbech Cambs.

I just bought the blue car that is shown in the gallery pictures K195, I bought it from an auction site near Southend, and other than some poor pictures I had never really seen it.
    If I had seen it, I probably would not have bought it as it is a mess. Now that I have it I am going to sort it out and to do that I am going to need some bits.

I was busy today when it was delivered so I didn't get the chance to go all over it but I did see that it has no brake master cylinder or wiper mechanism, but the motor looks like it is there.
    It has no cover either not that this bothers me as it's undercover and I won't be using it unless it's sunny outside, but I would like one. Ha ha, "using it" I don't even know if it starts.

So if anyone knows where I can buy these parts I would be grateful, also if anyone knows the last owner maybe you can ask him/her to contact me so I can get some info on the car, the name is listed with the pictures as Midasracer.

Thanks in advance.

Smiffie

Re: New guy with old car.

Welcome Smiffie, someone will be along to assist with knowledge etc!!

Comment

Welcome Smiffie.

That pic is all we have in the archive on the car, I believe it has a 2000cc engine and the (previous?)owner was a member in 2017

Have a look for me please and tell me the chassis number, something like T5 147JGJGGL2KS170206, plate located as in these pics

Regards Dave Cunnington
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dcunn; 19-03-21, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Smiffie, Welcome to the club, I remember that 'oh s##t oh s##t what have I bought?' feeling after buying a Landrover while heavily under the influence of Day Nurse. 'Just needs a bit of tidying, a couple of weeks should do it'. Picking it up with a trailer a week later those were my thoughts, my mate's comments were even blunter.
        I take it that it is a Sx1e?
        First off, make the outside as clean and shiny as possible, much less depressing! Then spend a lot of time looking with a note book. P.S. Don't ever buy anything under the influence of Day Nurse it is very mood enhancing! Good luck and Stick with it!

Comment

Hi Guys,
          Thank you all so much for the warm welcome, Sorry I have not replied sooner but it seems like there is never any time to do what needs to be done let alone what I want to do.

So, I have been back and forth with Bill who has been helping with some bits, Thank you Bill, I have explained that this car was delivered Thursday and it is now parked in the yard with a plastic cover over it to keep the rain out, I think that either tomorrow or Monday I am going to be able to get it into the garage and unwrap it to see what I have.

I will then do some pictures and stick them up for all to see, but I can tell you all that it is this car that is in the gallery here.

I say it is but really I can only identify it by the reg number, so who knows ?

Dave C, it most certainly looks like the car you have posted but it is not the same chassis number and that is odd, the last 6 on my chassis number is 240905 and my reg number is K195 KNO, as I said I will do some pictures when I get it uncovered.

The strange thing is this, your picture Dave shows no windscreen wiper and my car is the same with the wiper unit missing, also mine does not have the brake master cylinder fitted either, Looking at other little bits on that car I can safely say it is NOT my car - maybe

Is the wiper blade mechanism a rare thing, or a part that tends to break ? it seems odd that both have the same part missing.

Anyway........................... We will all know more on Monday.

Regards.

Comment

Possibly not built with wipers, like some Sportsters. Rainex used instead
            Doug

Comment

Smiffie, the pics and numbers I showed were from another car, for illustration only.

The only pic we have of your car is the Midas racing one.

The T5---is the actual car identity number, the letters are the initials of the guys at the factory who produced the kit
              and 240905 (you've guessed it) is the date of manufacture, so when uncovered let me know the full set please.

Doug is probably right, Rainex could be used instead of the intricacies of a wiper set up.

DC

Comment

Hi Guys,

Well I have some news, we did get the car into the workshop yesterday but we didn't do much to it, today we got everything out of it and sorted out what we need and what we had.

I do have the wiper part so I think that is a case of just bolting it up.

I don't have the master cylinder and I will post a picture below to see if anyone knows what cylinder might fit these holes.

I don't have a lower steering knuckle, I will need to get it on the ramp before I know exactly what's missing, one of the hand brake cables isn't fitted and I am not sure about the water hoses from the rad to the engine, I will know more when I get there, the battery is shagged so I will fit a new one once I work out how to get it out.

I bought a set of plugs for it, my son took the tank out (not that it was bolted in) and cleaned it out and tested the pump - all good, so we chucked some petrol in it and she fired up like brand new, very quiet and revs as it should until the turbo pipes blew off, it looks like this guy did 95% of the work and run out of steam, or breath maybe? most of the parts are fitted but very little is bolted down or tightened up.

Anyway, it runs and it is sweet, the engine looks to have been recently rebuilt so I am a happy chappie.

Do you recognize the bolt hole fitting for the master cylinder? the plug shown I suspect is the brake fluid level indicator if you can confirm that too.

Thanks for your help guys.

Ah, I need to make my pictures smaller, I will look into this now.

Comment

Sooooooooooooo, I was unable to post some pictures because I couldn't find the acceptable size, so I have been playing with this and this will either work or not..

I bought a new brake cylinder off flea bay for about £70, it came today so we fitted it and bleed the brakes, we also looked at a few other things that needed sorting and did those too, it is getting there.
                  I shouldn't, but I want to say that the guy who owned this car should not be working on cars, at all. But horses for courses I guess.

The next thing to tackle is the steering and this is where I need a little help, the rack is fitted ( not bolted up 100%) and the steering column shaft is looking at the hole, but there is no knuckle/joint/part that goes from the rack to the steering column shaft, I know why it isn't there and I want to know if I could buy the right knuckle or if I should buy another steering rack and this is where I need the help.

the picture below ( if it loads ) is of the steering rack pinion shaft, you will see it is triangle shape, the column shaft is a regular spline shape with the cut out for the bolt.

So, either the knuckle for this setup is triangle one end and spline the other, or I have a miss-match bit of crap.

Q1 - Does anyone know where I can buy the knuckle to fit what I have on this car?

Q2 - Is this setup normal?

Q3 - If the above answers are No, what steering rack should fit this car?

Once I get the steering working I will be able to run it around the field for a bit of fun and then start the work on cleaning

If these pictures show then wow, if they don't then will someone please tell me what is the correct size to load onto this forum.
                  Attached Files

Comment

"I shouldn't, but I want to say that the guy who owned this car should not be working on cars, at all. But horses for courses I guess. "

Funnily enough I've been saying that for years about the guy who built my current house, a lot of the issues I have found have been down right scary (and dangerous).

There also been some 'questionable' work on my Cabrio over the years too, in particular the wiring loom is a total rats nest. Its on my to do list.

The pictures show just fine. Good luck with this, its going to get interesting.......
                    2000 Marlin Cabrio LWB; 2.0 L Burton Pinto in Ford Nightfire Red with Magnolia leather interior.

http://www.marlinownersclub.com/wppg...&image_id=2349

Comment

Car Builder Solutions do a spline to triangle steering UJ.

Comment

Steering bits, get a copy of Car Builder Solutions. I know I go on about it but it is a very useful catalogue of gear and knowledge. I have no connection with them except as a happy customer. The triangle is probably a Sierra rack, UJ CBS P/N #UJP3 which has a 36tooth spline. Hope this helps. Project cars can be a lot of fun and challenges. My Roadster still is!

Comment

Working...
                        X